The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cheapest / Expedient Engine & Gearbox Conversion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheapest / Expedient Engine & Gearbox Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheapest / Expedient Engine & Gearbox Conversion
    Posted: 13 May 17 at 12:38
Hello,
When I bought my DoKa it was sans engine and gearbox; originally 1.9 5speed.

I need to get it MOT'd while its German documents are still in date in order to register it hassle free.

What engine and gearbox would you use?

I like the idea of Audi A4 or Passat 1.9 and flipped box. After buying the donor car, an extra £1250 for the parts from Tim looks like budget. I can machine the bell housing at work and mod the subframe. I'll also build my own exhaust.

Would you go this way or just go back to standard for cost?

I do want some semblance of reliability and performance whilst I own it.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice offered.

Edited by BSR - 13 May 17 at 12:39
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 17 at 22:19
Personally, having done tdi and golf gti conversions, I would go for the golf, pretty straight forward, cheap and doesn't stress the drivetrain, it just works.

I've done the flipped gearbox route too, but I would find a good 5 speed and stick with that if I were you. Again, it just works.

Edited by fufflenarnia - 13 May 17 at 22:20
BSR View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 17 at 22:24
Golf, as in a petrol one Shag or a Golf diesel?

Genuinely would like to hear about your experience.

Ultimately, I'm only likely to keep it a year or two, so want the most useable but cost effective option.
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 17 at 22:32
2.0 golf gti petrol from a mk3 golf. You need the diesel bits from a diesel van and perseverance. It's a common conversion, there is a group on faceache if you do that with full instructions, wiring diagrams, photos etc and even a guy selling most of the bits.
BSR View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 17 at 08:19
Originally posted by fufflenarnia fufflenarnia wrote:

2.0 golf gti petrol from a mk3 golf. You need the diesel bits from a diesel van and perseverance. It's a common conversion, there is a group on faceache if you do that with full instructions, wiring diagrams, photos etc and even a guy selling most of the bits.

I'll have a look on FB. Cheers.
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 17 at 09:45
VW T 2 5 gti conversion club
 Post Reply Post Reply