The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

t4 engine upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: t4 engine upgrade
    Posted: 06 May 17 at 00:19
Been toying with the idea of changing the engine in my 2000 1.9TD. Got a good friend who is a mechanic and he planted the idea 2 years ago.
The engine is very good, runs well, done all the usual, ie pump mod for mid range power, oil cooler fitted, turbo boosted etc, etc but despite having a naturally light right foot , don't get much more than
32MPG at constant 3000 RPM cruising and, of course, sounds like a tractor.
I guess someone has done this in the past using a 1.9 TDI or 2.5 TDI.
Can anyone give me advice on the pros and cons of this conversion please.
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 17 at 08:41
IMHO If you've got a decent 1.9td don't bother changing it unless you want to for the actual fun if it.

Tdi will be a little more refined a little smoother and a little more economical but for the hassle and expensive hardly worth it.

I'd look at tweaking the 1.9. You can get an easy 100bhp from the 1.9 td with improved intercoolling and injectors...
xrigger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 17 at 17:07
Thanks ob1. Must say I feel the same but constant hassle from young guns to do it.
To me, it seems better to go for economy rather than performance and to this end I have convinced the boys to think about altering the fifth gear ratio which is apparently do- able with less messing.
Any experience or info on this ?
At the moment I am cruising at 60MPH / 3000RPM but am told 70MPH is possible at those revs with the mod.
BTW what injectors were you refering to ?
regcheeseman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regcheeseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 17 at 00:17
I'd never bother with injectors in a 1.9TD, last fully mental one I built was near 140 brake and could still push more fuel than the turbo could supply air - and it was pushing over 30 psi.

100 brake with a cooler, upped boost and pump work is fair game.

Fifth gear is a simple mod, you do end up with a bit of a step from fourth to fifth which on some hills can mean silly revs in fourth or a complete inability to pull fifth.
regcheeseman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regcheeseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 17 at 00:04
32 mpg is pretty poor for a 1.9 tuned or otherwise.

Fifth gear will not give much of a reduction unless you do a lot of high speed motorway driving?

Any idea what your timing is set at?
 Post Reply Post Reply