The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Alternator ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanagone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Alternator ?
    Posted: 28 Apr 17 at 18:44
Newbie Post :)
I have a Vanagon 1986 1.6 TD I'm under the impression that the Alternator is on the way out, obviously i'd get straight to order a new one however there is no indication/label on the current Alternator to tell me what the Amp, i'm running a 75 amp leisure battery as well.

Any help and recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks

T3 Vanagon 1986
1.6 TD
cobblers View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobblers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 17 at 07:33
If I recall correctly there's 70A or 90A alternators?
Put simply, either will work absolutely fine, but the 90A will charge your main battery slightly faster if you flatten it, and if you're driving along with a lot of loads on (All the lights, heated rear window, heater blower, wipers etc) it's more able to keep the battery topped up.

Unless your leisure battery is wired properly with good thick wire (they never usually are) a 90A alternator is unlikely to charge the leisure battery noticeably faster than a 70A one.
craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 17 at 10:34
65 amp or 90 amp alternators on the 1.6TD.

either will do the job.

I have recently needed to swop the alternator on mine, I went with a straight exchange 65amp for 65amp.
Works fine in my Westy and keeps the leisure battery topped up too.

If you're concerned you can also get an uprated voltage regulator to increase charge rate/deal with voltage drop over the old cables these put out approx 14.5v as opposed to the standard of less than 14v.

Before you buy a whole new alternator (£100+), have you replaced the regulator? (about £5-10) 
easy cheap fix and worn brushes etc... could be your fault?

VW T3 1987 Westfalia Club Joker
 Post Reply Post Reply