The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 EJ25 heater problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 EJ25 heater problems
    Posted: 21 Apr 17 at 22:25
Hi guys. Been having a good read and seen a few bits on forums but I just can't solve my problem. So any help would be appreciated.

My EJ25 conversion around town etc has a decent heater boiling hot air. However some times it just goes cold and won't get hot again for ages. No matter what I do. Rev the engine drive it hard, let it idle etc etc.

For example I just done 1k miles down to Cornwall and driving around etc and most of the motorway miles in blew cold air. Bloody annoying.

Anyway it's fitted with all RJES parts H section all looks ok. I've bleed and bleed and bleed the system. Changed the radiator, changed the heater valve. Still the same.

Any idea or thoughts?

Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 17 at 22:29
Also changed the thermostat
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 17 at 08:56
Sounds like you have pipes mixed up and possibly have conflicting water routes? If you have no heat but not over heating look at the heater pipes see if you can swap them round perhaps? I have no idea on Subaru stuff!vw stuff has a direction of flow. May even be the valve by the gearstick but you would still get slight warm air
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
White Van man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Van man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 17 at 20:06
Same issues as I have, great around town,crap on the motorway. I wondered whether because mine is an US import if that made any difference.
Had wondered about fitting a smaller radiator to try and get it running hotter ?
Grimsby ,the no1 VW Metropolis town of England
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 17 at 17:37
does the engine temp drop when the heater doesn't work?
As far as I know the standard vw plumbing for the heating doesn't go in the circuit that the thermostat is in so you get hot air quicker
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 17 at 20:47
My temp stays the same goes up in traffic etc but the heater just don't work on motorway etc.

I literally have no idea know I think I'm giving up and will just leave with it
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 17 at 21:30
you running genny thermostat?
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 08:15
Genny? Do you mean genuine? I have just the standard Subaru set up. I changed the thermostat a while back now. Tested the new and old in boiling water and both were good 😂. I read something somewhere that in Australia people are fitting some sort of spacer to the thermostat to keep the engine cooler. Dunno if that could help

Edited by Dropchip - 23 May 17 at 08:16
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 08:43
It seems logical you've got an air lock in the heater matrix. It's by far the highest point of the system and if the matrix had completely emptied I could envisage it holding a significant airlock? This wouldn't effect the rest of the cooling system. How about detaching the two smaller coolant pipes to the matrix and forcing water through with a hose to ensure the matrix is full?
nick1973 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
click, click, BUY!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 09:46
the main problem with the heater is the bypass that is fitted in most convesions as the subaru has to have a continous flow around the engine from its heater cucuit, most of the warm ater is dirverted back to the engine berfore it reaches the haeter to cure this youcan fit a bypass heater valve to replace the vw valve this allows the subaru heater curciut to flow when the heater is set for cold lost on ebay to use
add to the fact that the subaru has alot better cooling system than the old vw lump and the fact it has about 4 times of the coolant it had in in when in the subaru yours always going to struggle
Dropchip View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dropchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 17 at 17:02
Nick. Do you know if there is any further information out there about fitting a bypass valve?

I'm fairly confident no air lock in the system. Initially that was my thought so I fitted a new rad and filled using the rjes system. Basically filling the front of the system through the top of the radiator. But it's still the same.

I'm convinced it's something to do with the bypass section/loop for the Subaru.
 Post Reply Post Reply