The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

aaz woes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: aaz woes
    Posted: 20 Apr 17 at 22:22
right peeps just got call from mechanic who is installing aaz engine in my van he`s had problems getting new timing belt says engine block is from early aaz and head is from later aaz ,he`s managed to get a kit from vw heritage and managed to get it fitted and timed  however oil dose not seem to be getting to lube front part of cam shaft and it seems it`s damaged some followers any ideas has anyone else had this problem of only partially lubricated cam shaft this engine is doing my head in.   
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 17 at 23:35
Hmmmm.... sounds all a bit flakey.

Has he put the head gasket on upside down? That will block the oil way to the CH.
macc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 17 at 23:47
it is, when i got the engine the old timing belt was  tight you could twang it and make a note we left the old timing belt on so we could make sure engine was a runner engine ran ok however lots of black smoke on engine revving we put it down to egr not being blocked off engine was run for 20 mins to check for any oil or coolant leaks however problem came around when new timing belt was fitted.  
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 17 at 07:49
So you've not had the engine stripped down? Just changed timing belt?

Sounds like oil pump issues then? Surely your mechanic has dropped the sump and checked the oil pump?
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 17 at 11:16
or oil pickup pipe not changed?  or vaccuum pump not meshing correctly with head of oil pump???

sounds like a mare to me...  

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 17 at 11:17
age of heads will not matter a jot when it comes to timing belt - as long as the correct pulley is on the cam..

The blocks (earlier and later) differ slightly for the different types of tensioner for the timing belt..  it's not rocket science though 
macc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 17 at 13:15
bit of a long story with this engine iv`e had a year of being pissed about from magic bus Peterborough that are bust now mechanic who was working on it now trying to sort out someone else`s fuck up so engine was always suspect head is now fucked so will need  another one, any one got one going might need to get complete engine. mechanic says although new timing belt is tight it isn't as tight on as the old one that came of cam pulley wheel could be the problem anyone know what the diameter of the wheel should be.  
macc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 17 at 00:00
thanks all for the reply's.
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 17 at 09:56
Originally posted by mrhutch mrhutch wrote:

or oil pickup pipe not changed?  or vacuum pump not meshing correctly with head of oil pump???

sounds like a mare to me... 

That's pretty much what I thought. Right down to it being a fookin nightmare...

I'd imagine OP could pick up a complete running engine for the cost and time of sourcing and fitting another decent head, plus gaskets.
Why take the chance of wasting more time and money bolting decent parts to a bottom end that may be suspect.

macc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 17 at 10:40
that`s my mechanics thoughts also just got to try find another engine to drop straight in ie jx or original ky labour cost to swap bits offer are high.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 17 at 17:01
I can do you a 1.9D freshened up (timing belt & tensioner, water pump, immob wiring done) but you'd still have to swap over your diesel bits - can be done in an evening at home though
Adez389 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adez389 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 17 at 13:31
Why don't you just 2.0 AGG GTI convert it? That's a popular engine swap for a van that's already a diesel. You can pick up a mk3 Golf GTI for not to much money to strip and salvage the donor parts from yourself.

Alternatively I can supply everything from a donor car already removed for £350 (engine is still currently running in a car so videos of it running etc can be supplied.) That's for all the donor bits required for the conversion. Where about's in the UK are you?

The only real hurdles you need to get over is to get an exhaust fabricated up, modify the loom and sort the airbox arrangement out. There are guys out there that can supply those bits pre-done too (I've no idea what they charge).

This is exactly what I plan to do if (when) the AAZ in my van starts giving me problems. I've currently got 5x mk3 Golf GTIs so have plenty of potential donor vehicles (2Es, ADYs and AGGs). I need about a weeks notice to pull an engine out as I'll need to fit it around other commitments.

Cheers,

Adrian
 Post Reply Post Reply