The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LG20 Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote si macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LG20 Replacement
    Posted: 08 Apr 17 at 19:26
Pretty sure my black box under the rear seat (LG20) is dead. My main and leisure battery are not charging when on mains. Checked if the voltage changed when having mains connected/disconnected and no diffference, and no buzzing as I'm sure it should be. Opened it up and checked fuse and incoming feed which were both ok but nothing on the output side.

What does everyone use as a replacement? Can I use any off the shelf battery charger with the correct specs? Any tips on wiring if that's the case or is it's straight forward?

Thanks in advance
craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 17 at 00:05
The original BBB (black buzzing box as its known) has a 230/240v input and 2 x 12v charging outputs (one for the starter battery and one for the leisure battery)

Most chargers on the market have only one 12v charging output.

When i purchased my Westfalia Joker (1987) it already had the BBB removed (probably died years ago?)
This had been replaced by a cheap charger and the wiring altered, because of the single output it now only charges the leisure battery.

There is an old but very good thread on re-placement chargers if you do a search.

However my choice (on my budget) would be a CTEK charger.
This is an intelligent charger (available in various amps) that won't over charge like the BBB but it ike most only has 1 output.

I intend to fit a switch and then wire it so that it charges the leisure battery but if required on the rare occasion that the starter needs a top up I can turn the switch and charge the starter battery.

Hope that helps?       
VW T3 1987 Westfalia Club Joker
si macc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote si macc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 17 at 06:58
Perfect, exactly what I was after. Will dig a bit deeper to find that thread. I know a component level engineer who might be able to fix for me so will ask him if he can.
 Post Reply Post Reply