The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extended cold cranking 174

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vw bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extended cold cranking 174
    Posted: 29 Mar 17 at 23:29
Hi yes still getting crancking problems even with the nrv fitted when left overnight , think problems getting worse as now has done it a couple of times after a couple of hours, I think it's injector seals , but garage wants to do the tandem pump ( lift pump and all glowplugs already done ) the oil level is defo not rising and the tandem pump is not leaking diesel externally.......so could the pump still be leaking air and making it hard to start , through searching I thought they leaked diesel into the sump if "gone" p.s garage just recently drained the fuel filter and found clean ,I'm about to start testing myself as garage a bit reluctant to get the injectors out in case it's not them , so I'm going to put a pressure gauge in between the filter and the tandem pump and plug the return line and see if it holds pressure , will this test work ?? ,also van is 2005 174...101k should I just change the tandem pump anyway to rule this out ?? also had to recently take off a new turbo under warranty that had done 3k in 11months due to overboost limp because the vanes had sooted up already , could this point to an injector fault , dribbling fuel causing over fuelling ?? Van seems to run perfectly once started , cheers for any advice peeps

Edited by Vw bob - 29 Mar 17 at 23:38
Vw bob View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vw bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 17 at 13:58
Right , test in place ......have a nrv into the fuel supply for the tandem pump , a pressure gauge blocking off the return into the fuel filter pumped up to 1 bar and currently holding pressure in an up to temp engine , so may way of thinking is I'm covering the tandem pump and injector seals and possible cracks in the head , did notice that when engine is running cold there was a tiny amount of air in the clear return to filter hose , but when up to temp and running there was quite a bit , although this would explain if you move it cold it will start first turn of key , but if you park it up after a run it will sometimes take a while to start the next morning , see what tomorrow brings

Edited by Vw bob - 30 Mar 17 at 13:59
 Post Reply Post Reply