The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New stainless exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New stainless exhaust
    Posted: 10 Mar 17 at 14:14
Just ordered a new stainless cat back system from Milltec
To my surprise when I opened the box there are no silencers just a strait through pipe in 2 sections . I called them thinking it was wrong and they assure me it's ok and the t5 won't sound much different without silencers ?
Have to say Iam very sceptical but they do seem to be a reputable company . Has anyone got a similar or same system that can re assure me before I fit it
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 17 at 12:03
It does sound surprising but diesels don't need so much 'silencing'.  If you run a petrol car with no exhaust at all fitted it sounds like a dragster but a diesel with no exhaust fitted is much quieter.  

I'd be interested to know how you get on with it and what it cost because my exhaust is all original (13 years/106k) and the back silencer has been peeling for a few years.  I reckon it must going to give up soon! 

2004 2.5 174
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 17 at 20:27
Yes have done a bit of research and found a few vids online and it should sound ok . Milltec reassured me too , but they also do a centre silencer , they said they would be happy to exchange the direct pipe for a silenced one if I wasn't happy . I'll let you know what it's like when it's fitted
my bigest fear is that when I die the missus will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 17 at 22:23
I run my 5 pot with a 76mm exhaust with no boxes and it's not really that much noisier. On the last track day it was measuring 98db at 3500 rpm
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 17 at 00:00
Good news
You do track days in your t5 I love it
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 17 at 13:09
I had the pipe fitted last week , milltec system , fit and quality is very good . The noise is hardy any different , inside the van . I did a long motorway trip at the weekend and notice no difference at all cruising at 70 to 80 .
If you rev it through a bit more in the lower gears there is a nice sound as the revs rise above 2.5 k , not intrusive just a nice sporty sound .
From outside the van there is a little bit more noise but not enough to make people turn round expecting to see a chav with hat on backwards . All you can really hear is the turbo spinning and small wooshing sound can be heard as you lift off at low speed 20 mph if the windows open . It's certainly not going to upset neighbours if I get home late .
Performance has noticeably improved a little with a bit more mid range push . My van was re mapped years ago so I can't really comment on what a standard map would be like , it also has a pipercross air filter which made a greater difference than the exhaust has
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 17 at 00:39
I have the same exhaust but wasn't happy with the sound from the down turned tailpipe. I added the twin black tail piece which changes the sound but it still hisses on idle. Great roar though above 2000 revs. Sound awesome in the alps.
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 17 at 07:27
I get more induction noise in the front than exhaust noise at the back Smile
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
kernow View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kernow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 17 at 13:41
I would have to agree with festa the induction noise from the pipercross air filter is more noticeable ,the noise from the rear is a gentle burble on tick over and I don't even notice much more unless I change down push it hard to overtake etc ,
Same exhaust fits many models so perhaps I can only comment on my 2.5 .
I do also have a padded floor in the back and it's carpeted right through so maybe that reduces the noise in the cab .
Nb my down turned tail piece is turned at 45Degrees because it seemed a bit low facing down
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 17 at 08:33
Also just watch for extra heat around the bumper area as the exhaust gases do melt plastic Unhappy I have a down turn but on a rolling road down in Havant I melted one of the straps that was holding me down.
 Post Reply Post Reply