The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Draining coolant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubNot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Draining coolant
    Posted: 09 Mar 17 at 00:15
Hi all, Gday from downunder etc.

Can't remember if I have posted on this forum before. My son has bought some bits off Brickwerks in the past.
Just trying to drain the coolant for my son's 1990 T3 Caravelle petrol 2.1.
There have been no noticeable issues with the cooling system so it is just time to replace the coolant, for the first time since my son bought the T3 a year ago.

I have followed the Haynes manual - steps 1 to 4 Draining page 1-16.
So far I have only managed to drain about 11 litres out from the water jacket plugs. Jacking up the front drained another 0.5 litres.

Update :
We decided to disconnect the lowest coolant hose at the engine bay and after jacking up the front wheels got another 3 litres drained.

Will that have drained all the coolant? - OR - is the rest of the coolant removed by flushing?

The other thing I would like to find out refers to the Haynes manual, in the section on Flushing the system steps 5 & 6.

5. Disconnect the two major coolant hoses from the thermostat housing and coolant pump.

Which hoses exactly are they referring to?

Thanks John

Edited by DubNot - 09 Mar 17 at 10:16
The goal is cheap and cheerful maintenance!
DubNot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubNot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 17 at 12:40
My son mentioned the fact that if we end up flushing the old coolant out, won't that just leave town water inside the mystery location!
That probably won't be an issue if you are just adding water to anti-freeze, but we purchased Nulon concentrate which needs to be diluted in equal parts with demineralised water.

Would have helped if VDub had put a drain cock at the lowest part of the coolant pipe run. Unhappy
Are there any aftermarket bits to address this very problem - as some have replaced the OEM plastic coolant tubes with stainless steel piping.
The goal is cheap and cheerful maintenance!
 Post Reply Post Reply