The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it possible to build a "1.9 JX"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it possible to build a "1.9 JX"?
    Posted: 03 Mar 17 at 14:09
I wonder if anyone can help here

I have a 1.6 JX engined T3, the engine has developed a bit of a miss and knocking and coolant light came on (low coolant)

I decided to remove and strip engine to investigate and at this point have it stripped ready to remove the cylinder head to investigate.

I realise that an AAZ is an "easy" and worthwhile upgrade but good, cheap AAZ's are getting thin on the ground and have questionable history.

Assuming the worst ( and as said have not yet removed cylinder head) I saw this advert

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/various-aaz-jx-afn-parts-for-sale_topic92492.html

So the question basically is it possible to use tha AAZ block, crank & Pistons (assuming they're good) with the JX, cylinder head, fuel pump & injectors ( I understand I have to use JX sump, oil pump, engine mounts etc. Just as if I were installing an AAZ. I think I'm basically asking if the 1.6 head fits the 1.9 block.

So in essence building a 1.9 litre JX

Many thanks in advance

Frank
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 17 at 16:44
There are some performance modifications that can be done to the JX - ARB head studs, AAZ gasket, injection boost pins etc, but I don't know that anyone's hacked a JX into a 1.9L that way.

If you want a 1.9 JX-a-like then it might be worth starting with a 1.9L 1Y instead and then using the JX turbo, manifold, pump, injectors, etc to turbo that lump.

Edited by clift_d - 03 Mar 17 at 16:44
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 17 at 18:00
I vaguely remember that you can't match a 1.9 bottom to 1.6 head? might be wrong though - I think the oil ways don't match? 

I've got a load of good AAZ heads pumps injectors turbo's 
etc kicking about if that helps? 

fatfranky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 17 at 15:12
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've now removed the head and other than the usual cracks between the valves there's nothing untoward so far, bores seem reasonable, so we'll see!

But the suggestion of turboing a 1y has me thinking!

There's a chap on 80-90 selling a 1y and an AEF pretty cheap, I know the AEF has CAV pump, would it be possible to remove the CAV pump and replace it with the JX pump, turbo sump etc ?
regcheeseman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regcheeseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 17 at 00:29
Turboing a 1y works well.

Don't hybrid a 1.9/1.6 - it doesn't work.
 Post Reply Post Reply