The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 4 Motion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyno Soar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 4 Motion
    Posted: 24 Feb 17 at 11:34
Hi - I am still a T3 Caravelle owner and was looking to buy another T5 to replace my current one.

I wanted to build a camper on a 4 motion base but I have to ask.  Is the 4 motion any good off-road?  How can I tell if its equipped with a rear diff lock?

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 17 at 21:43
It depends on what you mean by "any good off-road".  

Due to the long wheelbase and relative lack of ground clearance, and no room for large chunky tyres; an AWD T5 is never going to perform like a dedicated 4WD designed for off-road conditions, but having drive on all 4 wheels will help in loose, slippery conditions.  

That said, my 2WD T5 has surprised me a couple of times when I have inadvertantly strayed onto soft, boggy(ish) ground.  It slipped and groaned and struggled a bit, but I did manage to drive my way out (although once I had to clear a path for the wheels to get moving again).

I'd expect maintenace costs to be a bit higher due to the extra bits needing fluid changes etc.

Wouldn't there be a control in the dash somewhere if there is a rear diff lock ?

Edited by gregozedobe - 24 Feb 17 at 21:46
Dyno Soar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyno Soar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 17 at 16:03
I have seen a couple of these with raised suspension.  Not a lot but enough to get some semi decent tyres on there.

I hoping to take my T5 to wales and Scotland with the family and wanted to venture off on some trail (roads) nothing too serious.  Just so we could see some of the sights beyond the black stuff.

I was intending on going for LWB DSG 4 Motion with at least a rear diff lock. 

I understand it wont be as good as Syncro but at the same time it should be better than my FWD T5. 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 17 at 16:35
I don't know much about 4 Motion but don't they have an electronic (Haldex) coupling that shares out the drive according to what VW (Tongue) thinks is needed?   
2004 2.5 174
cramdub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cramdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 18 at 23:48
Trip report from Fraser Island (sand island in Queensland, Australia):

Anyone want to buy a 2006 T5 2.5TDI 4motion?
 Post Reply Post Reply