The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

piston rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: piston rings
    Posted: 18 Feb 17 at 19:58
Hello
This is my first post to this site although I have used the info contained in it a number of times. I
am sure this topic has been covered in another thread on this site but I can't seem to find anything on worn piston rings. So apologies if this is a re-hash.
We have a 1993 Lt 31 Florida RHD (Flo) which we have owned as a family (2 adults 2 kids) since 2008 and have fantastic adventures all over Ireland (and one trip to the alps in 2008) in her over the last number of years. She has never given us any major problems despite hauling bikes, sailing dinghies, kayaks and canoes up hill and down boreen (Irish for road that's in the arse end of no where).

I recently took her back to the alps for a ski trip with the 2 boys (now older teens) and she struggled with the climbs up to the resorts having to drive in lower 1st for most of the inclines. She also had difficulty getting going after a cold night and would produce a lot of smoke when she eventually sparked into life (she was always a key turn start girl).

Now back home in Ireland and getting ready  for the summer season and she still struggles to start with a lot of blue smoke. She also is not able for the hills here which before didn't pose much of problem for her. She doesn't seem to be using an excessive amount of oil.

Having googled the topic and from past experience I have come to the conclusion that the piston rings a
have worn  or the valve seals are damaged.  Does anybody on this form have any advice or similar experience? Is it worthwhile getting new rings or does this open a can of worms?  I used to have a 1972 T2.5 and I bought a reconditioned engine when similar problems arose, can this be done with diesels and is it worth it?

Advice and suggestions most welcome.

Thanks
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 17 at 08:36
Hi Niall

I wonder if it's worth crossing off easier to fix problems before major engine surgery. You may have done that already.

Fuel filters can make a difference - oddly I have 2 on my LT28 and brickwerks supply them .

Binding brakes - especially if stood over the winter. I've read the calipers on my LT are prone to this.

I had my fuel pump belt replaced and the pump timed which did make a slight improvement.

Injectors can gum up - may be worth running some cleaner through them - I've read on this site that someone did this at the same time as replacing the fuel filters by priming the new filter with a strong mix of injector cleaner / diesel.

On the subject of the piston rings / valve seats - a compression test should give you a quick answer. You can buy a tester cheaply or perhaps a local garage could do it. I'm lucky as I have a commercial garage close.

There's loads of info on this site about engine swaps and different options - I have no experience of this but the info here is really detailed.

Good luck - I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Simon
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
Smileymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 17 at 10:04
Thanks for the tips Simon. We gave her a full service before leaving for France and updated her car test cert which she passed no problem. (She has 2 fuel filters as well which we discovered about a year after buying her when she became very sluggish). Callipers were done last summer when they started sticking and  she rolls downhill well enough so I have ruled them out. Didn't think about the injectors though! Will run some diesel clean through the tank. Its the billows of blue smoke when over 2000 revs that worries me and how quickly the problem appeared. Could dirty injectors cause this?

I am going to look into getting a compression test done over the next few weeks.... will keep you posted
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 17 at 10:22
Hi Niall

I think I've read on here that blue smoke is unburnt fuel but am sure there will be others with a better technical knowledge than me. May be worth a search as I'm sure there will be other threads relating to your issue.

Good luck with injector cleaner and compression test which may allow you to rule out some issues.

Keep me posted

Simon

Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 17 at 10:52
If it was mine and based on what you have stated I would be doing the following.......

1, Compression test
2, Ensuring the timing is correct
3, Testing of pump and injectors

The above should highlight any issues....
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Smileymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 17 at 12:28
Thanks for that robbydoo .

Compression test is booked for next week at a local truck garage. 

do you know if there a similar  straight forward test for timing, injectors and pump?
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 17 at 21:41
The timing is set by a series of pins that locate in the pulleys and then the pulleys are tightened up.

Not a big job if you have the right equipment although it's been proven that a pulse meter and timing light are better on these old vehicles but again not a big job if you have the right gear...

Let us know the outcome of the compression test...

1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Smileymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 17 at 16:09
Hi Guys
Just an update on Flo's condition. Garage attempted compression test but discovered that manifold studs were cracked. It took a while for them to extract them but eventually succeeded. With exaust secure compression was restored and now engine running like a dream. It must have been a deteriorating problem as she drives much better than she did since we bought her in 2007.
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 17 at 12:26
Thumbs Up
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 17 at 08:05
I do like a happy ending.........

Big smile
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
 Post Reply Post Reply