The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AJM Passat diesel PD engine instead of 1.6 diesel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AJM Passat diesel PD engine instead of 1.6 diesel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AJM Passat diesel PD engine instead of 1.6 diesel
    Posted: 26 Jan 17 at 19:36
Hi all, this has probably been asked many times but is it at all possible to fit this 1.9 instead of the 1.6 as I will sell my runaround otherwise Gearbox is DUK code if this could be used too. If feasible what would be a ball park cost and would I need many other parts. All help so much appreciated as our high top does not like hills at all.....thanks.
Damian.
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 17 at 20:48
PD had a different sump, so you have to go upright or import one from the US.

Having done one myself, it is an excellent conversion, but you have to go the whole hog and swap the gearbox too, you will rip a standard one apart.

I have heard of people paying around £7k for a conversion, obviously you can do it yourself and save £££, but it's not for the faint hearted.

Easiest is aaz or agg, the gearbox can cope with them.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 17 at 21:39
or just buy a 1.9D (from me obvs) and feck off the turbo and live with the uber reliability of the economical dirty oil burner..

I'm a self confessed GTi convert but having slapped a 1Y (1.9D) in the westy to get it back on the road it's not coming out again anytime soon.
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Damian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 17 at 09:23
Thanks for the both, if it were to be a diy job (not by me) do you know of any further info on what's involved and a shopping list so I can work out a cost as I have become attached to the car somewhat.
If not I may convert with an easier solution or sell the van to someone who lives where there aren't so many hills like East Anglia - how much for a 1.9d Mrhutch and can a 5 speed box be incorporated?
Damian.
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 17 at 19:42
If you are starting with a 1.6 diesel you have almost everything you need.

The sump, oil and oil pickup (and the exhaust and air filter) are swapped to the 1.9
Damian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 17 at 22:31
Great thanks, fufflenarnia .....any specific engine code for the 1.9d I need to opt for and how about a five speed, if so which one will I need?
Damian.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 17 at 22:33
got a good 1.9D 1y engine here, freash timing belt and tesnsioner ready to fit..  can pallet and ship 
£500

swap over your dirty diesel bits and bolt up and go
Damian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 17 at 22:35
Anyone living near Neath willing to give a hand for a fee of course?
Damian.
Damian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 17 at 22:41
Mrhutch email me your info and I will start saving money even if I miss out on this one..my email is damiane123@hotmail.co.uk cheers.
Damian.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 17 at 23:49
Smile   will do - engine is from a golf that I've driven and is known good..

also got 2 AEF 1.9D's here as well, the only real difference is that the 1Y had the bosch pump (better) and the dipstick is in the right place.

Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 17 at 20:49
Are they the short term exhibits of the Hereford engine museum?
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 17 at 22:48
The museum has extended far and wide across Worcestershire chap!
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
 Post Reply Post Reply