The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9DG - AAZ Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverriddett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.9DG - AAZ Conversion
    Posted: 26 Jan 17 at 14:49
After deciding the DG was a bigger pain in the arse than income tax, I've decided to swap the beast out for a reliable diesel. 
The 1.9 AAZ has been my decision and i wil soon posses one. 

Basically, I'm searching for some help on any 'what to look out for' when re-installing, where to source the diesel parts for conversion and some advice on gearbox options (I currently do not have one). 

I'm a total novice and know know about the DG. 

please be kind and lenient :)

Cheers guys.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 17 at 15:01
is there a particular reason you've decided to go with the AAZ?

It's much easier and cheaper (and economical) to run with a 1.9D N/A - AEF or 1Y lump

Most AAZ's are tired now, and running in a T3 means you really have to fit a front mounted oil cooler, and either bugger about with turbos and engine mounts or source JX exhaust & turbo
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
oliverriddett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverriddett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 17 at 16:06
Hey, thanks for your reply. 
I went AAZ because it was there, i know they're older, but it is good enough mileage at 120k which i may well do a top-end rebuild before it goes in. I am aware that i need to fuss about with sourcing all JX parts for the diesel swap, which i would anyway, which ever diesel I decide. 
My initial intentions were to go with AFN but budget and time would'nt let me. 
I am aware that the AAZ runs hotter, hense your oil cooler comment, is this really difficult? and is the JX turbo the only option? Is there somebody who does these for a job... swapping engines to AAz?

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverriddett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 17 at 16:09
I pondered for ages on which lump. so lets skip the 'why did you choose the aaz'. with out being rude at all :) I've just been around the loop about 50,000,000 times now lol :)
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 17 at 16:45
Smile

no problems..  I didn't know you'd already sourced one..  back in the day AAZ's were the holy grail but to be honest these days it really isn't worth the hassle (IMHO).

Oil cooler, all depends on how flush/capable you are.  The only "kit" to fit is from BW

so there's £400+ right there.. but if you're running an AAZ and want it to last you have to have one.  You could make up the bits yourself and save a little but Simons kit will just work.

Does your AAZ come with inlet/exhaust and turbo?  Do you know which pump is fitted (there are over ten different types, some are shite)
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 17 at 16:47
** disclaimer **
I am a little biased as I occasionally sell 1.9D lumps ready to fit !!

I haven't got any diesel fitting kits at the moment, but do have a small stockpile of JX engine parts

Edited by mrhutch - 26 Jan 17 at 16:51

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverriddett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 17 at 06:06
Ah ok. Yea I heard that they're all getting a bit old and wrinkly but I'm committed now. The oil cooler. Where do I mount this? Does it simply sit in the engine bay? I'd like to gain your details if that's ok? For future purchases
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 17 at 16:48
have a look at the link to the kit on BW - oil cooler mounts on front of your bus - before the radiator
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 17 at 16:50
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 17 at 18:22
The oil cooler thing is a bit of a false fix IMO... most people stick an AAZ in a van with a 30 year
old radiator. My last AAZ was always hot so I fitted an oiler cooler and it helped but it still
got hot. This time I fitted a brand new VAG rad and new water pump and it runs my AAZ cool with the usual
Water/oil cooler. I've only seen 110 climbing mountains in Spain. In the U.K. it rarely gets above 95... might top out around 100 on long forth gear climbs?

That said I'd defo prefer an oil cooler as well...
Just never bothered but I will once I sort my charge cooling obviously! Or things would get hot. So fit a new radiator first is what I'm saying.

Edited by ob1 - 27 Jan 17 at 18:23
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 17 at 21:28
^^  yup couldn't agree more with that OB..

The issue with the oil is that there is little in the way of airflow to cool the block and turbo, and the turbo puts superheated oil back to the sump, where it is picked straight back up by the oil pickup and then into the head/block

A new rad will help cool the block better, along with the lower opening thermostat
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 17 at 21:56
Fitted a new rad when I fitted my first aaz , still managed to seize it when the oil got that hot it picked up on the crank and threw a rod out through the side of the block. I do drive like a twat, possibly not like a hutch though. Aaz is alright but given the choice I'd go with an SB, couldn't kill that little mofo, although I did have an oil cooler fitted by then.
Thanks hutch for pointing out my fitting kit in the for sale section .
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oliverriddett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 17 at 08:22
Nice info guys. What is VAG and where can I buy one lol?
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 17 at 09:01
Volkswagen Group - Just buy a decent OEM (original equipment manufacturer)
Radiator? Brickwerks or TPS...

Yours maybe fine - but most vans still have the original radiator which over the years has lost effectiveness.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 17 at 14:17
@oliverriddett  - you've got an AAZ for sale over on the other channel - changed your mind??
 Post Reply Post Reply