The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suspension Change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haydns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspension Change
    Posted: 13 Jan 17 at 22:08
Hi,
New to the forum and new to the world of VW T5 ownership! I've just got a low milage 2006 LWB T5 combi transporter and love it, don't know why I didn't get one sooner!

I only use the van for bicycles, surfing gear and the dog so don't really need the full 3.5t capacity, the back end is quite jacked up (to cope with the load capacity I assume) but I'd like to get the whole van sitting level and possibly dropped by an inch as well. Ideally any mods would also make it more comfortable, like I said I don't need the load capacity so a more comfortable ride would definitely be a bonus.

I be really interested to hear peoples suggestions on the best way to go about this, springs and shocks, coil overs, suggest brands etc? Obviously I'd like to do it as cheaply as possible but equally I want to do it right and not screw up the handling!

I've restored several classic cars so would be quite comfortable doing the work myself.

Cheers
Haydn

gasone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gasone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 17 at 19:07
i have a t5 which use to break a lot of rear springs , I have since replaced rear shocks and springs , Someone here recommended peddars springs which come with a life time guarantee I believe 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 17 at 18:47
Can't really help much cause I'm not one for all that lowering, bling or anything that doesn't have a real function.

I often have what must be approaching a ton in the back of my van but I also run it empty as well and it never really looks up at the back. It's possible that the front springs are tired or broken, or perhaps someone has fitted heavier duty springs on the rear (Perhaps T32 springs if they fit).  The springs set the height of the suspension of course not the shockabsorbers.

Incidentally, I'm on about 105,000 miles and 13 years now and still on original springs somehow! Because I know that they are prone to breaking I do check them well between mots. I do have a slightly damp shocker but they are all original too. Smile

Edited by T5 TDI - 20 Jan 17 at 19:27
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply