The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.5i EFI Conversion anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.5i EFI Conversion anyone?
    Posted: 13 Jan 17 at 14:18
Hey guys,

Has anyone managed to successfuly convert their 2.5i T3 microbus to EFI from the CIS fueling system? I am considering dumping the CIS and going EFI and would like to know from those who have done it whether:

1) it is a route worth taking
2) Costs involved
3) Power or torque gains
4) Is it better to just swap to the 2.8L Audi V6 engines as proposed by some

P.s I was checking this site:

http://www.flow-improver.de/shopdeutsch/042c8b9b7f0931d0b/042c8b9b7f10de91d/042c8b99980d185f1/042c8b9aa70bf6507.php

Seems they have an EFI kit that could work for these engines but at a pretty penny.

Cheers in advance
MONK
monkslayer View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 18 at 12:59
Just an update on the conversion. Flow is a stand up guy and he sent me all the parts for the conversion. It was quite straight forward and I managed to do the conversion and I can say confidently that it completely changes the characteristics of the engine. Torque delivery is smoother, it definitely has more power while delivery decent economy(better than before for sure). The T3 really pulls now and it is fun to drive. it still limited at the top end but i imagine this is due to the 10V head.

Next up is slapping the 20V 7A head that I have lying around. I hear this should increase my top end and breathe new life into the engine.

9A pistons
20V pulley
20V oil pan
7A manifold
Bag of snakes header

Expensive affair but what's a Vw if it isn't expensive!Can't wait to get started!!
MONK
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 08:36
Great conversion. I've done all three variants using the standard 7a. Standard 7a 2.3, also the 7a with the SA 92.8mm 2.5 crank and finally a 7a with 95.5mm 2.6 crank. Way to go with the SA 5cyl bus as you already have most parts needed.
What injection system have you used? Your link won't open.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 08:51
I am using the Bosch 315cc injectors currently with a 8AN fuel rail, In addition I am using the adaptronic EMS.Details from the link below:

http://www.adaptronic.com.au/

I had to use another dizzy with the 5 windows since my original one with the vacuum could not get the car to start. Do you have any pointers on the conversion? How much HP and Torque are you putting out?

what is the overall feedback on the experience?

Edited by monkslayer - 05 Jan 18 at 09:11
MONK
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 10:24
Sold my SA a while ago. 7a 2.3 170hp 220nm. 2.5 about 180hp 240nm and the 2.6 about the same but it was about where the usable torque came in especially in the T3. If you want revs +7000 rpm stick to standard 7a. If you looking for good spread of torque then 2.6 but won't rev like the 2.3. 2.5 is a good balance between the two.
Don't go down the turbo route with these vans. Too much heat build up and also heavy on fuel. Stick with NA.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 10:33
Thank you for the feedback. No plans to go turbo in the van,too complicated IMO for riksing the joy of driving a family van. I think the 2.5 20v should give a decent balance of torque and HP. I read somewher that i could get to 200HP and about the same 240nm with a good tune. I will be going for that and that should be able to take me anwhere.

Did you find that your stock transmission could handle the new power ok? I'm running the ABN 5 speed box and I am not yet decided whether i should do go through with a weddle rebuild. A bit of feedback from those before me would be helpful!!
MONK
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 10:33
... your gearbox will last a lot longer too. Awesome 5 cyl sound, good combination of power and torque. Very reliable unlike all this modern sh1t!
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 10:38
True that..the modern stuff is a bit wanting...the 5 cylinder sound and torque delivery is what has kept me away from the subbie swap...addictive engine to say the leat!Wink
MONK
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 10:41
I was told back in SA keep torque below 300 nm using a petrol engine and standard box should be ok.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 10:55
glad to know... was worried that the extra Tq and HP may eventually cause the transmission to implode!! I wanted to reduce my highway Rpms  a bit(it does drone on the highway somewhat) with a 4.57 R&P but I think I will drive it like that until it decides to break!!
MONK
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 11:01
Standard gear ratios are terrible especially with a 2.5!
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 11:05
Yes they are...even taller tires don't help!!I will ultimately do the 4.57 R&P and lower the gear 5 to something like 0.75 or 0.70...still need to be able to have a conversation on the highway..Big smile
MONK
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 11:07
Where did you get your 7a bits from?
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 11:12
I had to import a complete 7A engine (without the ancalleries, ECU and wiring) from the states.In my part of the world , that engine is as rare as hens teeth. the 9A pistons are easier to get since it is a more common engine.

Only thing I have not decided is whether to use the 9A conrod arms instead of the 7A. I bought the pistons and conrods as a set(PO would not sell any other way). Are they interchangeable?

The part numbers do look similar, with only a number difference at the end:

027198401/027198401B- 9A Conrods
027198401C/054198401A- 7A conrods

MONK
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 11:25
I would use 7a all the way but the rods are the same. Use the 7a block as it has the mounts for the knock sensors and flywheel sensors.The SA 2.5 block does not.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 11:31
Thank you for the heads up. You actually answered a question that has been racking my brain for a while now; Whether to use the 7A block or the SA one.I have my answer now!!

Do you have a part number for the knock and flywheel sensors?

Cheers
MONK
T3 Nev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3 Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 11:42
Flywheel sensors and knock sensors I have. Let me know what you are looking for and I can get you some prices.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 18 at 11:47
just those two!!

Cheers Nev
MONK
 Post Reply Post Reply