The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Headlight RHS cannot be adjusted from dashboard?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Headlight RHS cannot be adjusted from dashboard?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headlight RHS cannot be adjusted from dashboard?
    Posted: 31 Dec 16 at 11:43
My T5 2.5tdi 130 hp 2004 headlight RHS cannot be adjusted from the dashboard. The LHS headlight moves up and down๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€ but not the RHS. Any idea where the adjuster thingy is. Is it a wee motor or a Bowden cable on the light?
I can see the manual adjusters ๐Ÿ™‚but not the other onesโ˜น๏ธ.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 17 at 17:59
I had both headlamps on mine replaced under warranty ten years ago due to noisy motors. There should be a multiplug under the headlamp, you could check that you have 12v there. Best to check all fuses in case the headlamps are fused separately. If it's the motor I think it only comes complete with the headlamp.
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 13:33
It might be possible to salvage the motor from a busted light from  T5 that had a crash - that should be way cheaper than a complete light.  When I bought mine several years ago they were very expensive, even second hand, as the twin reflector light were a popular upgrade for the base vans with the single reflector lights.
stinkyfinger1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 15:28
๐Ÿ˜ฑ catastrophe, being a jock like. Not that I'm implying that the sweaty sock nation are renowned for having a few cobwebs around their wallets. Maybe if the worst comes to the worst, I can set both lights to the zero or whatever setting and tape the wee adjuster thingy on the dashboard, then when she goes in for her MOT it'll be about the correct height.
But I'll check up what yer man T5 tdi says about the voltage and fuses first, then the secondhand prices. I stay quite close to the German border here in Denmark, so maybe I've a better chance there.
But, thanks for the, as usual, good advice.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 17 at 21:22
As long as they are both at the correct height and aimed properly left/right and the beam pattern looks good in their machine that's ok in the UK. In the UK the switch should be on the zero setting before the lights are adjusted for the MOT but the motor function is not part of the test.  Not sure about Denmark though.

The motors are only there to allow you to adjust the headlamps if for instance you were towing, to allow for the rear sinking.  If you are not bothered about whether the motors are working or not, just pull the connectors off when the switch is in the zero position which is normally shown as a small dash on the switch and thow yourself on the mercy of the MOT guys to tweek the manual settings on each headlamp as necessary.  Award yourself a large smelly Danish/Scottish haggis if it passes! Sick  
2004 2.5 174
stinkyfinger1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 17 at 21:12
I can hear the lifting and lowering motor purring on the LHS lamp, but not the RHS. Checked the fuse, it feeds both lights. Plan now is to set both lights with an empty bus and pull the fuse.
I found a shop here that sells turnip, so I'll have an English haggis, from the freezer for Burns night and maybe a Danish pastry for after๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜€.
 Post Reply Post Reply