The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glow plugs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glow plugs
    Posted: 28 Dec 16 at 17:12
Hi all
Been a while since I posted. I swopped my T3 for a 2007 T5 with a BRS engine. I am a bit unsure working with the T5 so have been getting my local garage to do any work (apart from servicing). I have been getting a glow plug fault code and the local guy said it would need a strip down and he was not sure how long it would take. I was a bit worried as I heard he had snapped a glow plug on a mate's van and the head had to be taken off.
Anyway I did a bit of research and using a multimeter found that one of my plugs was out of spec and I decided to try to do it myself.
I checked for the correct plugs online and found that when I put in my van details I got two different types of plug specified one at 5 volts and one at 11 volts and no guidance as to the correct one. Elsawin says test the plugs with at least 11 volts but would like some input from anyone with experience of the job.
Cheers and thanks in advance.
Mechanically challenged.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 16 at 21:56
go to VW and get them to quote for it - they probably have a fixed price for something like this and if they fuck it up they will sort it..

or buy another T3?
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
old age traveller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old age traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 17 at 14:06
Love to have another T3 but I spend a few weeks every year touring abroad and the T5 is faster. I replaced the plugs, it was an easy job but I now have another problem which I will explain in a new post.
Mechanically challenged.
 Post Reply Post Reply