The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

engine choices ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben graves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine choices ?
    Posted: 22 Dec 16 at 20:13
hi everybody i am knew to the scene and am looking at a 1986 t3 panel van. rust wise it is fairly solid and all major parts are in tact the major problem is that the original engine was a 1.9 naturally aspirated water box engine which when the van was left for so long it seized solid and the seller of the van scrapped the engine and has a 2.0 litre petrol engine to put in it which is air cooled. which is not ideal for me. the good part about this is that everything for the water cooled engine for example the radiator and pipes is here so it hopefully could be a fairly easy job to run it as a water cooled engine. my major question, what hopefully can be answered is what engines can be put in the van and will they mate to the gearbox without any modifications and if it is possible to run a turbo diesel engine in it and how easy or difficult they are to install. furthermore the steering column is not present with the van so one would be needed to be sourced and i was wondering if anyone knew any good places or opportunities to get one. 
nick1973 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
click, click, BUY!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 09:05
Lots of engines can bet fitted but with the van already been a petrol id personally stick with a petorl as the dieseal parts are quite expensive.
I'd personall go for a subaru engine ( but then agian i would as i sell them) but its a well proven conversion and not that expensive espacially from the starting point you have
the only concern i would have is the condtion of the gerabox is a unknown you might spend a load of cash on the engine to fins that the gearbox is shafted too
do your research as theres lots of options
subaru - you can even use the scooby gear box
dieseal - lots of vag engines and you could use the flipped passat gear box
golf gti - but needs the diesel engine parts
thens there all the others 20v turbo, v6 , 5clyn audi the list goes on on  on 
they and do it simple with bits of the shelf or it will end up been too long a project and you will lose faith with it
Ben graves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben graves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 10:19
thanks for the advice i have heard about the Subaru engine swaps but not sure if that is the way i want to go. we have a syncro double cab with a 1.9 turbo diesel and love driving that with that engine. our main concern is if we were to get another 1.9 turbo diesel engine would it fit on the gearbox housing, or is there a way to check this before buying a replacement engine. i am also young so a smaller engine would be a better idea as insurance for me will be horribly expensive.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 12:59
diesel engine needs a diesel gearbox and all associated parts, park your syncro next to the panel van and whats missing is what your after. if you go 19 td at least you have something to work from. plenty of breakers in the wanted section. just watch the ebay route as you can pay a scene tax on vw parts. if you think its steep ask on here many will point you in the right direction Thumbs Up
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 13:08
Just need the bellhousing and engine bars etc, the only thing I would say is that diesel and turbo diesels that fit easily are getting expensive. Tdi is a whole other kettle of fish because you'll need your gearbox rebuilt with taller gears.
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben graves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 13:08
hi thanks for that the syncro is pretty much just a shell as we are repairing the rot and there is not enough space for them beside each other. it originally had a 1.9 diesel in it which was removed as it had seized solid and a 2.0 petrol engine was what was supposed to go in. so if i was to buy a 1.9 diesel that might fit. 
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 13:11
Sounds like a possibility, you may even have the diesel bellhousing still? Pop a picture up but the easy way to tell is that the starter will be positioned a 12 o clock.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben graves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 13:15
the van is not with me at the moment we looked at it the other day and dont know to much about it and weren't clever enough to take pictures. are gearboxes to put in the van for a diesel engine hard to find if the one in there already wouldn't fir the engine. 
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 13:23
Check the code of the gearbox before you pull it, if it's half decent (roughly speaking not a normally aspirated box, which are dog toffee) you'll only need the belllhousing not a complete gearbox.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben graves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 13:28
ok thanks for the advice so what will need to be done is find the codes for the gearbox and that will tell me what i need to get to fit a 1.9 td engine. what happens if it is a naturally aspirated gearbox. would i haft to get another gearbox
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 13:35
Not really but they are very low geared so your top speed or cruising speed is never going to be earth shattering. I personally wouldnt be pulling it out straight away, See if you can live with it. A second hand gearbox can be an expensive mistake unless it's from a known source.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben graves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 16 at 13:41
ok thats great cause my main objective is ti get it running and driving on a 1.9 td and knowing that inky the bell housing might haft to change is good news as i dont mind being slow or not having huge top end. 
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 16 at 01:28
if you need a diesel lump I've got a few for sale 
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben graves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 16 at 21:53
hi yea that would be nice what sort have u got preferably i am looking for a 1.9 diesel or turbo diesel. if so where are you based and what price are you roughly looking for. 
pingping View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 17 at 15:24
which diesel lumps do you have and how much please?
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 17 at 20:10
hutch has the largest collection of engines in herefordshire! Approve
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 17 at 20:26
it's not a collection, it's a museum .. and I'm a curator.

Got 1Y's and AEF's in (thats 1.9D non turbo - although some can be turboed safely with JX parts), can be prepped as far as you want them, new water pumps, cambelt etc..  or you can have them as they are removed..

Currently tied up finishing an AAZ job but will be able to ship in the next few weeks, pm me for what you need and ting.
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
pingping View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 10:35
cheers...thanks...ill have a ponderSmile

Post Reply Post Reply