The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buzzer gong speaker audible warning - FIXED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stryne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buzzer gong speaker audible warning - FIXED
    Posted: 09 Dec 16 at 02:04
The plan - remove instrument panel to replace the warning buzzer / gong speaker.

After a bit of a look around the web and finding the part is available at a reasonable price, low enough that it if the job went wrong, 
not a lot lost, I decided to give it  go.

Lautsprecher Digisound F/BMS-3432LF Reparatur Kombiinstrument f. Golf Polo Fabia
reelectronics     
Ebay Item # : 221689360186  EUR 7.00
Shipping: EUR 6.50 München, Germany
(820 available /  86 sold)

Please don't take this post as a definitive "how to", but it shows what I did to successfully restore a dead audible warning unit.

Tools I used are a Torx set, small and medium screwdrivers, work light, mirror, long nose pliers, light duty electric soldering iron. 
It's a good idea to have an old pillow or a heap of rag to rest the instruments on, I was treating it with extreme care as I went, 
the exposed gauge needles and dials, etc, are fragile.

There are probably a number of articles which show how to remove the instrument panel. Basically, removed the lower trim 
panels below the steering column, (not the blinker switch cover, it stays on), from below the steering column up towards the 
underneath of the instrument panel, the two torx screws are visible, they are the same size as the trim panels screws, they are 
then removed, used a screw driver to push at the speed nuts, moving the instrument panel outwards, then pulled out all the way 
with a rounded end hook, the left side swinging out first.

Also a reminder about Volkswagen plastic clips and electrical connectors - they can be frustrating and fragile (to me at least) so I 
went along carefully, and I watched out for the clock and speedo adjustment stems.

Should mention about the two wiring connectors on the back of the instruments one blue, one green, they have locking catch 
levers that need care not to break when releasing.

Once the unit is out and on the table, 2 torx screws can be seen in the rear, they have to be removed, the two speed nuts 
have to come off, there are retaining clips around the edge that are obvious, I used tapered down ice-block sticks 
wedged into those clips to release them and allow the rear panel to come off. (yeah, I always save those sticks for these sort of jobs).
And finally there are two molded on retaining clips inside the panel to release - see pictures.

So now it's a matter of removing the old speaker, by releasing the clips around it's black surround, while - gently - prising the speaker out 
WITHOUT pushing the rear of the speaker. With the speaker now just moved out of the clips it is time to unsolder the connections -very 
carefully- while gently applying outward pressure the speaker will come free. Repeated for the new speaker.

Removed the remaining solder from the connections in the surround ready to solder the new speaker in. (By the way, it might look as if 
the new speaker with it's surround might just plug in the circuit board, but I checked and could see it is soldered on the inside of the pcb)

OK, so I just pushed the new speaker (removed from it's surround) into the old spot and carefully soldered the connections, being 
really carefull not to overheat the wires. After a bit of cleaning of dust etc out of the housing I reassembled the panel in reverse order.

Then it was time to refit loosely in dash to try it out, gongs and buzzer are now working ! and blinker clicking !  Made sure everything 
else is working ok, then reassembled all in reverse order.

2005 T5 2.5L 128Kw 6SpA LWB med. roof
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 16 at 10:47
Well done !  I shudder to think how much that job would cost if you gave it to some (not all) dealers Disapprove
Stryne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stryne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 16 at 12:32
Hi Greg,
             I read a thread where a person said they paid about £600 to get it fixed by a dealer I think.

Edited by Stryne - 11 Dec 16 at 12:32
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 16 at 17:54
Interesting stuff Stryne!  A dealer would replace the whole insrument cluster.  Others would send the cluster off for repair but I reckon you have saved yourself a good few hundred quid.  Thumbs Up
2004 2.5 174
Stryne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stryne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 16 at 23:47
Yep, in Australia instrument repairers don't have a lot of competition, so they mostly charge a lot.

That new speaker could probably be fitted easier by just soldering it's pins straight to the pcb, but I wasn't brave enough to take the tacho needle and face off 
(or the whole thing ?) anyway, it worked out ok.

I was going to fit a switch and wiring to it so I could turn it off if got annoying, but I got it all back together before I remembered.
 Post Reply Post Reply