The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My LT35 Recovery Truck.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauldaf44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My LT35 Recovery Truck.
    Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 15:40
I have had this vehicle for just under a year now. It's a 1989 LT35 2.4d and unfortunately it does have its issues. It has a strong rust free body and chassis as well as a rather nice beavertail bed. I use it for collecting and moving classic cars for my business. 

As I mentioned previously we have a major problem. Recently she has been getting harder and harder to start. It would start from cold with several glow cycles or straight away if warm. If it was left for more than ten minutes with a hot engine it won't start again. Power is down an injector keeps sticking and as of yesterday it won't start at all not even a cough. 
Judging by the fact it suddenly has no coolant I would say that something major has gone wrong with the engine, HG or cracked head I suspect. 

This gives me the excuse I have been looking for to do an engine swap. I have access to a D24T if I want it. But have been considering a different engine due to the poor availability of parts. What conversions have you done ideally I want something that is a relatively straight forward swap. 

Have some piccies of the beastie. 

Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 23:34
Hi Paul and welcome.
If you look through the back threads, you will find that many people have carried out various engine swaps, but all have required extensive modification to the vehicle structure.
Unless you are up for a big project, your better off sticking with existing or the D24 Turbo
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
pauldaf44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauldaf44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 16 at 08:48
D24 turbo it is then as I have just been offered a complete camper van with that engine in and my recovery truck is a working vehicle so needs to be back on the road asap. Will probably do an engine conversion on the camper as it will be sans engine and can be done without haste. 

I've got a group of skilled people to help do the work along with my old motor vehicle engineering tutor from my old college. 
monstercrawiers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monstercrawiers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 16 at 21:02
I have a complete 2.4 non turbo Diesel engine if any good to you
pauldaf44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauldaf44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 16 at 18:40
Hi thanks for the offer. Could you tell me what mileage the engine has done? I have another LT here that has a running turbo D lump in it but I am a little unsure about using it as the engine has done 280k. 

Also does anyone know if there is any difference mechanically, asides the obvious turbo, between the D24 and D24T engines? If the compression ratios are the same I don't see why I can't fit the turbo to a non turbo lump.

I have been looking at the vehicles today to work out how the lump should come out and i'm seeing two ways of doing it. One is using a crane through passenger door and manoeuvring the lump out that way. That does not seem like an easy option. The other way I think may work would be to unbolt the front axle and lift the cab up removing the whole engine gearbox and axle assembly as one lump. How do people normally remove these?

Thanks

Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monstercrawiers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 16 at 19:16
Hi Paul it's done 130k and still in truck so can be heard, starts up even and no smoke. You're right in how to remove engine, it is either thro the cab or drop,the lot out the bottom. I don't know about the difference between the non and turbo diesel as in compression
pauldaf44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauldaf44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 16 at 18:37
I've been doing some work on this today and it looks like I will be needing some bits. Someone has fitted an electric fan but they have used a 9 inch fan and not properly secured it to the radiator. I don't think this is sufficient and may well be a contributor to my current issues. So I will be needing a fan and cowling. 

I noticed that there is no mechanical lift pump to be seen and am wondering if there is an in tank pump or does it just rely on the injection pump? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monstercrawiers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 16 at 18:49
i think a have a viscous fan and maybe bottom part of cowlin
 Post Reply Post Reply