The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Misfire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wello101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Misfire
    Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 11:07
Hi all, I used my van yesterday it's a 2.0ltr 62 plate and it was running absolutely fine. This morning however it's running like a pig! The engine sounds like it is misfiring, it's juddering as I'm driving, I can rev it to 3000rpm except for when stood still, when stood still it only revs to 2500rpm. I'm hoping it's something simple like a air or fuel filter, or even plugs!

Any ideas on what this could be or how I could fix it would be greatly appreciated?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 16:10
Is this the 2.0 petrol?  Can you have a look for the engine code.  (Should be under the dash above the drivers feet.) 
2004 2.5 174
Wello101 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wello101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 18:07
No its the diesel, no faults appearing on the dash at all! Also when I got back in it this afternoon it was still running like a pig, really juddering and missing! So I got quite annoyed with it and started driving it quite aggressive I.e prolonged raving in gears and noticed it having a flat spot between 3000 and 3200rpm before picking up again, anyway after a couple of 80mph blasts the missfire and juddering cleared whilst driving but was still present at tick over only the missfire wasn't as harsh? It's mind boggling lol
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 18:44
When you said 'plugs' I thought you could be talking about a rare petrol engine!  It won't be the glow plugs if it still does it after the first few minutes.  Even though it hasn't put the light on the dash it may still have fault codes.  

I haven't had much to do with the 2.0 engines, maybe someone else knows the commonest problems.  Have you read this?  http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/20-tdi-140-misfire_topic84317.html
2004 2.5 174
Wello101 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wello101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 19:12
Yeah had a read through it earlier thanks. I've located someone who has vw software he's going to plug it in and run some diagnostic checks so I'll let you know what it comes up with. My brother in-law also mentioned that you can buy a injector cleaning fluid which you add to a full tank of fuel, think I'll do a filter change, and try that cleaning fluid before changing injectors.

I'm jumping gun I think though, really need to start taking things one step at a time and find out what the diagnostics comes up with, I'll post faults tomorrow.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 20:17
If you are changing the filter you can get injector cleaner you can put neat in the filter when you change it.  I noticed a slight improvement on MPG on mine when I used it.    
2004 2.5 174
Wello101 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wello101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 16 at 12:26
OK so had my t5 plugged in and it came up with 3 faults P1065 - Fuel pressure regulation and 2 faults on the EGR - P0403.

I searched Google for the P1065 fault and it came up with multiple possible faults, first one being air in the fuel system, so with this I started my t5 and cracked the injectors 1 by 1, starting left (drivers side) to right. The 1st sprayed diesel as you would expect but it was still running with a missfire, however when the 2nd 3rd and 4th were cracked to allow diesel and any air to escape the engine sounded sweet as a nut, the moment they were re-tightened the missfire reappeared , (2nd 3rd and 4th were all cracked open and closed individually)!

Is there a sequence to bleeding the system for example 4 2 3 1 rather than 1234?

Anyone come across this?

Thoughts??
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 16 at 14:02
Originally posted by Wello101 Wello101 wrote:

The 1st sprayed diesel as you would expect but it was still running with a missfire, however when the 2nd 3rd and 4th were cracked to allow diesel and any air to escape the engine sounded sweet as a nut, the moment they were re-tightened the missfire reappeared , (2nd 3rd and 4th were all cracked open and closed individually)!

Not my area of expertise (not by a long shot), but those symptoms make me wonder if the fuel pressure is too high (above a specified limit), triggering some kind of self-protection program by the ECU.
Wello101 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wello101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 16 at 14:56
These are the faults on google for P1065 so think you could be right! Air in fuel system, fuel leak, fuel lift pump, fuel bypass valve, fuel pressure control valve, high pressure fuel pump
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 16 at 15:04
Your engine is a common rail you absolutely shouldn't crack open the injectors on that! Shocked  You don't have to bleed the injectors on CR engines, nothing past the fuel filter needs bleeding.  Cracking the injectors is for the old engines with rotary pumps and you can quite easily badly injure or kill yourself doing that with a modern CR engine.

It does sound like the pressure regulator fault is a good possibility.  

The EGRs are a common failure on the t5.1s.  I believe there is a modified version out but I doubt if that is responsible for any misfiring.     
2004 2.5 174
Wello101 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wello101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 16 at 15:07
OK better not do that again then lol, is the pressure regulator an easy fix?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 16 at 06:48
Can't really help 'cause I don't know much about that engine but it doesn't have to be the fuel pressure regulator just because of the code.  It could be that the fuel pressure actually is varying because the high pressure fuel pump is failing or the lift pump in the tank is faulty or air is getting in somewhere.  

Has it run out of fuel recently?  That is bad news on CR engines because the high pressure fuel pump uses diesel fuel as lubrication and a second or two of running dry and it's dead.  I think you are going to need someone with the kit to test it all.  (Safely!) Wink

Edited by T5 TDI - 24 Nov 16 at 06:50
2004 2.5 174
Wello101 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wello101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 16 at 09:49
It's not run out of fuel, I've called vw and there are two pressure sensors, so going to change them first and work my way back to the tank, I'm praying it's not the fuel pump as it's £340+. I read on another forums a similar problem and they cured theirs with a sensor so fingers crossed lol
Wello101 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wello101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 17 at 20:12
Hi guys, just an update! Luckily it was still under warranty and to cut a long story short after 2 months the issue has finally been resolved. It's basically had a complete engine rebuild, new bottom end, new piston and rings, new injectors, new heater plugs, new EGR, new fuel rail and lift pump and about 20 new sensors. So £4500 later it's running again 😊
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 17 at 23:25
That was expensive !!! Shocked

Thanks for coming back and giving us an update Thumbs Up

I'm glad you were covered by warranty.  Did they offer any explanation how your engine came to be so badly damaged, or did they just replace everything because someone else was paying ?

Either way I hope you now have many more trouble-free miles ahead of you.
Wello101 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wello101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 17 at 04:52
It was a process of elimination, according to the fault codes everything pointed to either Injectors, EGR, fuel rail or sensors or fuel lift pump, but after spending that amount they were already in at £2500, and the missfire was still there, then they pressure tested the head which came back fine, in the end 4 separate vw master technicians came to see if they could resolve the problem it was the last who said replace everythung. The guy at the workshop said if they had know sooner it would have been cheaper to fit a fully reconditioned engine as there around the £2500 mark.
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 17 at 06:06
Originally posted by Wello101 Wello101 wrote:

It was a process of elimination, according to the fault codes everything pointed to either Injectors, EGR, fuel rail or sensors or fuel lift pump, but after spending that amount they were already in at £2500, and the missfire was still there, then they pressure tested the head which came back fine, in the end 4 separate vw master technicians came to see if they could resolve the problem it was the last who said replace everythung. The guy at the workshop said if they had know sooner it would have been cheaper to fit a fully reconditioned engine as there around the £2500 mark.

So they still don't know what the fault was replaced most if not everything isn't really fixing it but the law of averages. Glad it's working for you.
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
Wello101 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wello101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 17 at 06:14
Yeah pretty much! It's not fully there I need to take it back as engine light has come back on and also I can't here fan kicking in 😔 but on the plus side it's running spot on so hopefully the engine warning light and the fan not working are the same fault and that's the end of the problem's, what's worse is I'm wishing I'd bought a Mercedes instead lol
 Post Reply Post Reply