The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compressor - any tips .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compressor - any tips .
    Posted: 15 Nov 16 at 19:58
Well with Christmas coming I'm compiling my wish list and wondered about asking for a compressor. I've managed well without one but wondered what others thought about their use . Is it something I will use and always find a new use for or just an expensive toy.

I've wondered about the positives of being able to sand blast some items - like when I was scrapping under seal off the wheelarches to get at the rust beneath - not a pleasant job

How useful are air tools - never used them . I've just relied on brute force - not always with the best results

So any thoughts appreciated on size , makes, type etc

Thanks

Simon
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
Heritage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 16 at 14:02
Well for my tuppence worth, I would not be without my compressors (small one for DIY projects) Its not something I use a lot, but when you have a job to do ie.... spraying the underside of you camper etc with treatment, they are a god send. As for air tools, how much use would you get from them? I do a lot of mechanical work on my cars, bike and now camper....so I love their varied uses.

Sand blasting? toyed with that idea too, however it is the left overs that I worry about, especially if the blasting is open to the elements.... A cabinet is the one thing I have toyed with for small component cleaning, the blast medium being contained.
If it can't be fixed, I'm not interested!
1993 LT35e
1978 MGB Roadster
1972 Sunbeam Sport
2002 Heritage Softail
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 16 at 20:17
Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of spraying the underside as it's a messy business with a paint brush and the LT has a large underside !! Air tools would be useful as I do mess about with all sorts as well as the van and I suppose fence spraying would come into its own.

I'm tempted by the sand blasting and have wondered if I could use a large tarp to collect the mess afterwards ?

Let's see what santa brings
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 16 at 12:54
I bought a small DIY one just for the tyres.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
robbydoo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 15:18
If you are using air tools or blasting you need one with a good CFM and a large tank other wise it will not power them for any longevity........for instance I bought a 9 CFM with a 25 litre tank and it is no good for my small blast cabinet (ran out after abouT3 seconds) and ran out of puff whilst spraying a beetle door.....
1985 LT40 2.4TD Coach built Pioneer Diamond
1983 1.9DG Autosleeper
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 17:46
Thanks for the reply and sharing the technical details . Can I ask was it the CFM or the tank size that ran out of puff. I'm assuming but am uneducated on these things that the CFM is the "power" and tank size the storage capacity ?
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 16 at 23:19
CFM is "cubic feet per min" that's the amount the compressor pump puts air into the tank.
Sand blasting uses a lot of air and sand and is in my opinion only suitable for small DIY projects in contained cabinets.

Edited by Dreamcatcher - 22 Nov 16 at 23:20
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 16 at 19:40
Hi thanks for the reply and the tip on suitability for sandblasting. I suppose that was my number one want really so perhaps an update note to santa and back to the scraper and wire brush
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 16 at 19:36
My compressor puts out 10CFM and has a 100Ltr tank.
It's ok for seams but that's about it, anything bigger I'd leave it to the experts.
Also it's incredibly messy, dust goes everywhere not good for tools etc in the garage.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 16 at 19:57
Thanks Andy that's a good steer I'll stick with the original plan .

Garage - that would be nice -😀 all work on my LT done on a gravel drive 😳😳
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 16 at 22:38
I had a 50l seally one and struggled with spraying a car.   And got hot and cut out annoyingly. The other annoying thing was noisE. it was the sort of high reviing awful noise I hate... but not as much as wife hated it!   There for me for using it.   I bought a 1950's compressor after on ebay. It it is so heavy it has its own gravitational pull, no guards.   It takes ages to get to about 80 psi so not great for tools or kids.   But it will spray all day. Sand blast for ages, nibble endlessly. , It makes a satisfying chuff chuff chuff.     No one complains   Iit lives under a tarp at the back of the garage and has done for 10 years.   No one will steel it.. unless they plan a head and bring a Hiab.
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
 Post Reply Post Reply