The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1984 1.9DG to AGG Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote club joker 84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 18 at 20:50
Voltage regulator I think you just measure between the two connected pins and you should get about 10v.  https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609208&start=0

I only found it because I had tried everything else.  New sensor, checking fan function, checking thermostat, etc.  Wasted hours!  For the cost of the part, it would probably be one of the first things I looked at if it ever happened again.

I ended up using the JX dipstick and tube following the method that Gary D recommends in his notes.  It took quite a lot of fiddling to stop it leaking though.  I then extended the JX dipstick by welding in a bit from the AGG dipstick.  It is still not ideal and weeps slightly.

If I did it again, I would probably use the AGG dipstick and just shorten in to get under the hatch.  You would probably need to move the collar up it a bit so that it came to the right level with the JX sump on, but much less likely to leak.

What did you want to know on the air intake?  There is quite a lot of information out there about the different ways people have done it.  I was trying to keep it looking factory, so re-used the DG air box.  There are two types of DG air box though.  I don't think that my method would work with one of the round ones.  

I aimed to keep the original tubing between the MAF and throttle body, as I thought that these would be the most important bits.  Other than that it is just a matter of getting clean, cool air to the MAF.  My intake might be a bit restrictive maybe, but the DG filter was quite a bit bigger than the AGG original, so seemed ok to me.  Feels fine to drive, but not tried any others to compare.  It is nice and quiet if that is important to you.  In one of my posts above, there is a link to a guy on retro rides (I think) who managed to re-use the original AGG air box.

You will probably need an adaptor to join the MAF to any aftermarket intake hose / filter etc.  I used this one http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/air-inlet-adaptor-vw-golf-mk2-mk3-mk4-jetta.html.  It was a bit off when it came, as it was square inside, so I cut this out with a hacksaw and Dremel.

Edited by club joker 84 - 05 Jul 18 at 20:59
bmouthboyo View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmouthboyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 18 at 08:50
That is great thank you, I will have a little look about and check it's not the timing on my older Gti engine and then check regulator.

Regarding the air intake, I like your idea of using the intake hoses running to the OS snorkle. What do you use after the airbox up into the snorkle box? I have a diesel snorkle header part but I don't think it will fit in the OS box. How does yours prevent water ingress?

Cheers
club joker 84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote club joker 84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 18 at 23:49
Hi,

No snorkel on mine, just the airbox sitting in the engine bay. Intake faces toward the vent area, but not had any problems with water intake. Pretty sure you could join up to a snorkel if you were offloading a lot. Mine stays on the road, and I have not had any water ingress issues.
Mark-Hans View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
turkey drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark-Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 19 at 19:14
Before you go any further, do you have a wiring diagram of where the impobiliser goes ( I understand the arieal is clipped around the Ignition Switch), where it plugs into the original T3 System and where it ends up?. I am still not clear 'what' the imobiliser, imobolises?..... I think this system I am trying to sort has taken a nasty high current shock, but no one actually has a wiring diagram of the T3 original wiring to the Golf GTi set up. Mabye you have one?, would be very very helpful to know. My computer is a Digifant 11, 037 9906 022 N. Any electrical information would be a great help!. 

Thanks in advance. 

Mark 
Mark..Amsterdam
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote club joker 84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 19 at 23:22
My ECU is a Simos unit, but I think that the immob wiring is probably similar.

The immobiliser doesn't really interface with the T3 wiring apart from needing 12v and earth.  The 12v needs to be an ignition live one.

There are only 6 wires to the immobiliser.  3 of these are from the immobiliser aerial ring and plug straight in. The others are a 12v, earth and a grey and white wire that needs to be connected to pin 43 on the ecu (may be different on your ECU).  I ran a new wire from front to back for this.  The 12v can be taken straight from a spare terminal on the fuse box. 

Note that the immobiliser seems to be a bit picky about earths, so make sure that you get a really good connection to the body.

Hope this helps!

Ben
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote club joker 84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 19 at 23:32
Should have said, the factory immobiliser lets the engine fire up 'fully' (i.e. with spark etc) for a few seconds before it cuts it off.  This is to help you differentiate between immobiliser issues and general running issues.

Assuming yours is a factory immobiliser, then it will fire up ok but then die.  If it is not doing this then your problems probably lie elsewhere.  
Mark-Hans View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
turkey drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark-Hans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 19 at 07:19
THANK YOU. You are the first person to give me such useful information. So, the engine will spark for a few rotations and then shut down. This is triggered by the one wire you ran from front to back!.....
OK, as you know this much, then I'll throw a couple more...... :-)  If the main coil feed looses it's earth, i.e., from the Coil HT outlet, then what will it blow up!.......... no spark at all still!. The Computer seems my only choice?.......

If you have any other diagnosis tips, I'd love to hear them. 

Greetings and thanks from Sunny Amsterdam. 
Mark..Amsterdam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234