The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AGG conversion won't start (properly)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote club joker 84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AGG conversion won't start (properly)
    Posted: 23 Oct 16 at 23:08
I am finally getting to the end of a long running AGG conversion on my van (previously a 1.9DG).  Obviously I have used GaryD’s notes, so a big thanks to Gary for those!  I’ll do a proper post with pictures and stuff soon.

Anyway, it’s all in and wired and plumbed, BUT IT WON’T BLOODY RUN!  It starts, but cuts out after a couple of seconds.  It’s on the original immobiliser and key.  I plugged in VCDS and checked for fault codes, because it seemed like classic immobiliser issues.  It did have a fault stating that the immob had prevented starting (fault 17978 P1570-35-00), and one on the immobiliser that the key signal was too low (fault 01176 07-00). 

Had a bit of a fiddle about with the key to get it closer (have fitted ring onto van ignition).  Other sites recommended removing the battery and touching the +ve and –ve leads on the van together to ‘hard boot’ the ecu.  Did that, charged battery, reconnected.  Cleared faults.  Now there are no faults showing on VCDS, but same symptoms.  Vans fires straight away, but dies after 2 seconds.  Fuel pump working.  Earths seem fine (well I have continuity with chassis, not checked actual resistance).  Engine has no exhaust or lambda fitted as yet.  Everything else is on there though.  Pretty confident the wiring is correct.

So, any ideas anyone?  Is there anything apart from immobilser that would cause these sort of issues?  Any and all help gratefully received!

Ben

syncroandy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncroandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 16 at 23:18
If you've not already tried it I would suggest using VCDS to reset the immo using adaption channel 0. This makes it re-learn the ECU. I'm assuming it's connected right eg. ECU > Immo > OBD port.

Edited by syncroandy - 23 Oct 16 at 23:19
'90 252 EJ25
'90 246 AFN

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.
club joker 84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote club joker 84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 16 at 23:57
Thanks Andy,

I'll give that a go tomorrow.  Does it work on the free version of VCDS?  I don't have the full version.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote club joker 84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 16 at 21:13
OMG it works!  Went to try Andy's suggestion (thanks Andy), but can't be done with the free version of VCDS.  Had a fiddle around, moved some earths.  Moved the key reader coil and noticed that it was holding on for a fraction longer.

Took another error code reading and got one related to the hall sender.  Went back to basics and reset the coil position.  I also connected the accelerator (sort of - with a bit of old wire!) so I could give it some revs and help it along.  Gave it another go and it starts!  

Was very loud with no exhaust and ran quite rough.  Then I noticed that I had not connected the vacuum hose from the throttle body.  Connected that up and it ran smoothly (and not too noisily amazingly).  Filled it up with water and bled radiator.  Ran steady and smooth for a good 10-15 minutes whilst I did this.

Got a few jobs to finish (make exhaust, fit driveshafts, tape up loom, mount ECU, etc) and it will be done.  One thing I did notice though was that there were a lot of bubbles coming into the coolant tank when revved, even when pretty much fully bled.  Does this mean that the engine has head gasket problems?  Must be the only thing that I didn't change!  If it is the head gasket, can it be done with the engine in the van?

Thanks,

Ben  
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 16 at 19:46
depends on routing of the plumbing but it may just be the water pumps working very well! i'd be looking at a coolant test first before messing too much.
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote club joker 84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 16 at 22:36
Plumbing is routed as per JX.  It is a new water pump, so fingers crossed that's what it is!  Will see if I can get a sniff test done.

Will do a proper thread in readers rides and see where we get to.  Thanks for the replies :-)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote club joker 84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 16 at 00:16
Build thread here
Pecha View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 17 at 15:27
Originally posted by club joker 84 club joker 84 wrote:

OMG it works!  Went to try Andy's suggestion (thanks Andy), but can't be done with the free version of VCDS.  Had a fiddle around, moved some earths.  Moved the key reader coil and noticed that it was holding on for a fraction longer.

Took another error code reading and got one related to the hall sender.  Went back to basics and reset the coil position.  I also connected the accelerator (sort of - with a bit of old wire!) so I could give it some revs and help it along.  Gave it another go and it starts!  

Ben  

Same here (ADY swap).
Thanks for the tip! 
www.vwt3.lv
mr.janis.petersons@gmail.com

VW T3, 2.0 ADY + UN1
 Post Reply Post Reply