The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Onboard Voltage Supply Unit J519

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Onboard Voltage Supply Unit J519
    Posted: 22 Oct 16 at 20:42
The Onboard Voltage Control unit (J519) lives behind the dash on the drivers side roughly above the drivers right foot.  It supplies voltage to many things including:

Wipers
Horn
Cruise control
Alternator load management
Heated rear window
Indicators
Mirror heating
Interior lights
Reverse light
Hazard lights
Screenwashers
Bonnet switch
Door switch position recognition
Tow bar

Failed wipers are quite a common fault that can be caused by the J519 but not necessarily the only one!

The bad news is the VW retail price is £380 + VAT.  Second hand units go on ebay for around £100 but there is no guarantee that they will work fully.  The suddenly failing wipers is just one common fault you could inherit.

Refurbed units are offered for £195 + VAT  by http://hazzydayz.com (who are very helpful on the phone.)  They will fit Cruise control for around £250 + VAT if you already have a J519 that supports it, otherwise it’s £450 + VAT complete with a refurbed J519. 

It’s important to get the correct part number for your van,  the part number should be on a label on the unit or can be found via diagnostics.  You may need a new J519 if you are adding cruise control or want to in the future.  Some J519’s already support cruise control.  There is a good description of which part numbers you can use on the ross-tech (VCDS manufacturer’s) site here http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Cruise_Control_Retrofitting_(7H)

If you buy a new or second hand J519 it will need coding.  A dealer or anyone with VCDS can do this.  If it will still communicate, get the coding from the old unit via diagnostics.  It’s easier if you already have the correct coding ready for the new unit.

On the facelift vans (2010 on) the J519 is combined with the comfort module which used to be under the driver's seat to become the body control module (BCM). 

If you have any problems with wipers, horn, indicators etc start by checking all fuses before buying anything.  Sometimes systems have more than one fuse so check every one with a meter or test lamp.  There is a second fuse box under the bonnet down beside the battery. 

A failing J519 can produce it's own fault code or can cause other fault codes on the electrical system depending on the type of failure.

Edited by T5 TDI - 27 Sep 19 at 16:16
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 16 at 02:38
Thanks for the useful info Thumbs Up  

(but if I'm being brutally honest I must say I hope never to need to know it  Wink  )
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 16 at 22:03
Smile  I don't suppose anyone else will have the odd load management fault I had but hopefully it will help someone who gets a fault with one of the other things in the list that doesn't respond to the usual checks.
2004 2.5 174
Thunnisett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunnisett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 17 at 23:31
Hi. I am a noob to VCDS.

I am changing my J519 and not sure how to get the code ready to enter in the new unit.

Any advice appreciated in where to extract the data.

I went into the coding section and see the following:

Software coding: (0-32767)     00001
Workshop code: (0-99999)      63351

Is this the correct section?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 17 at 23:26
It's important to give the details of your van.  Since you have a J519 I'm assuming you have the old model.  You need to select '09 Cent Elec' then 'Coding'.  You should code the new unit to be the same as the coding on your old one.  If you don't have the old code (and 
assuming your VCDS is genuine) Ross tech support will help if you get really stuck.  00001 sounds unlikely to me for a cent elec coding but I can't tell where you are looking on VCDS.  Can you post a full scan?  

Ignore the workshop code unless you have a problem.  Here is my coding for the Cent Elec although I did de-select the load management function which changes my coding slightly.  If you add up the options your van has you should arrive at the correct code.  

Address 09: Cent. Elect.       Labels: 7H0-937-049.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 7H0 937 049 K
  Component and/or Version: BORDNETZ SGVER 1.0  1901
           Software Coding: 0000583
            Work Shop Code: WSC 02756 785 00200
                      VCID: 3A7FC64E76101491EC-513C

Edited by T5 TDI - 19 Aug 17 at 00:15
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply