The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MOT fail. thank God it did!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MOT fail. thank God it did!
    Posted: 18 Oct 16 at 13:29
I was a little disappointed when my Florida failed it's MOT last week, the tester found some tin worm in the rear offside wheel arch.
It looked fine from the outside, all the original underseal was intact but when a bit of hammer pressure was applied it disintegrated!
No problem I thought, I took out all the gubbins from the cupboards and cut away some of the base boards to expose the inner wheelarch.
I then took the angle grinder to the rust to cut back to good metal and while doing so noticed what I initially thought was a rusted 'rolled edge' on the floor metal however I was wrong!
On closer inspection it was the gas supply pipe from the tank to the manifold in the rear cupboard and as soon as I disturbed it there was a smell of gas!
I quickly turned the gas of at the tank and on investigation the pipe was crumbling away, I would estimate that it would have ruptured in the very near future with potentially disastrous results.
I'm guessing that water had collected inside the internal wheelarch area from either ingress through the fridge vents or from condensation from the fridge itself and done its work unseen.
These are the photo's of the offending pipe, or what's left of it, I shudder to think what could have happened if it hadn't been found, needless to say I will be replacing the entire length of pipe and putting it where I can see it in future, the original pipe must have been put in before the furniture as it was buried under the floor and not visible.
Whilst not wanting to scaremonger I would urge all Florida owners to have this pipe checked out and/or replaced asap.
The rusty gas pipe before removal
The gas pipe removed, it broke into two pieces as I cut it out
The area with the pipe taken out, you can see the 'good' bit of pipe at the right hand side
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/
Bromy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 16 at 18:54
Very lucky find. I found on my bus that old factory seam sealer is very good at letting in moisture whilst still looking like its still very sealed, untill you have a very thorough poke as youve just found out 
"follow the masses, do the opposite"
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 16 at 19:53
metal gas pipes?! not good practise is it?
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
dutch gus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch gus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 16 at 17:36
That's pretty scary, often wonder about 'plumbed in' supply, I just run a camping stove.
Mk1 LT35 1996
Rusty on the outside, cosy on the inside.
Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 16 at 12:54
Update, new 8mm copper pipe fitted, not the prettiest install but safe! Smile

1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/
sid wedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid wedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 16 at 20:39
Shocked Holy crap! I guess this is a good example of the benefit of having an MOT test even though we tend to dread them. Wink
Trapped inside a petroleum vapour bubble.
 Post Reply Post Reply