The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Key not turning ingition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cityslang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Key not turning ingition
    Posted: 17 Oct 16 at 09:13
Hi Guys,

Went to leave for work today and i have found myself with an ignition problem.

Basically the key wont turn in the ignition barrel. It turns far enough to release the steering lock but won't go any further, so i can't get the dash warning lights etc.

I've only one key so i dont want to go really forcing anything but I've given it a good jiggle, slipped it in and out a few times and tried jiggling while actually turning. It physically wont move. I've tried spraying a bit of WD into the lock and coated the key with it a few times. I've got the plastic shroud off and given the barrel itself a bit a tap with a hammer.

I know the van have an immobilizer and i saw the ring antenna for it. I'm assuming that this operates electrically and wont allow the van to start rather than stopping the key from turning - i did think maybe some kind of solenoid in in the barrel *could* be stopping the key but that seems a silly design.
You feel the key engaging something because it does turn partially - maybe 20 degrees or so. The steering lock wasn't on when i got to it this morning but i turned the wheel enough to make it engage and it did, then the key turns enough to release the steering again. goes a touch further but won't go enough to get the van electrics on. 

I've not had any ignition trouble up to now, it was driving about fine last night parked it up as normal etc.

I'm really at a bit of loss, anyone got any ideas ? Can we confirm the immobilizer doesn't do anything with the barrel itself.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Simon
cityslang View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cityslang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 16 at 09:34
Sorry this is on 53 plate lt46 2.5 tdi

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 16 at 17:45
http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/etka/volkswagen/lt/176/953300/

Don't know anything about the ignition on your LT, but if the principal is the same as my Disco then part7a can be unscrewed. I can start my Disco without the key so long as the remote has disabled the reader coil.
Steering lock is still in place.
If you did this then you could be sure that it is not the immobiliser or part7a which has failed.
I'm thinking it's a mechanical issue, either the barrel or inside part 14.
If you remove the barrel you could try to turn the mechanism by hand, to test part 14.
Shouldn't be too hard to work out which part has failed.
No way I'd drive the vehicle though without manually disabling the steering lock, as you can't rely on the key to stay in a safe position.

P.S. If you add your vehicle details to your signature, it make things easier for everyone.

Edited by AndyT - 17 Oct 16 at 17:50
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

cityslang View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cityslang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 16 at 10:52
Hi thanks for the reply.

Yeah i've taken part 7A off and the van starts fine. 

I've spoke to a locksmith and he said he immediately know what the problem is and it's the barrel/bracket. He think there is is a pin that locks out the ignition from turning when the steering lock is on and it's a separate pin from the one that actually locks the wheel. Apparently the pin gets a burr on it and wont withdraw even thought the steering wheel is free.

He said the answer is to remove the whole thing 14+7+6 dissemble and possible file down the pin or just replace the mechanism.  Alternatively I can bin the whole lot and fit a new/user part although this would involve having a different ignition key to the doors. 

I've got a used part off ebay, it says its for a sprinter but looks the same and the part already on the van has MBenz stamping on it. I think it'll be arse for them getting the sheer bolts out but thats up to the garage. I'm going to get them to re-fit the used wholesale but using normal bolts not shear bolts. Obviously this will make the van less secure but at it's age etc I don't think it's super high risk to start with and it's struck me how lucky i was that it happened to fail in a position where the van can stay for a while and there is no guarantee the used part won't failed exactly the same way in time.

I'm assuming this is the - rather expensive - end of it but i'll keep you posted
 Post Reply Post Reply