The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 2.4D turbo opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 2.4D turbo opinions
    Posted: 17 Sep 16 at 09:03
Hi Guys,

Long time no speak - used to have a mk1 LT and now looking at getting back into the VW stuff - finishing my mk1 golf up now and looking to get a T4 for work.

I want to get a syncro to tow my classic camper/bar to gigs. Finding it hard to find a nice T4 van with the 2.5TDI so thinking is getting a 2.4D and doing a minor bit of work to end up with a stronger more usable van, i.e. head gasket, belts, injectors and turbo conversion.

I know this is a standard question - just doing a lot of reading up and find little long term opinions on how this conversion holds up.

I'm planning on keeping this van long term - I restore classics as a hobby so happy to accept a level of servicing ongoing and as such, in a way would rather buy something fairly straight and do a partial engine rebuild than chuck £5/6k at a 2.5TDI and only end up with something still needing work...

I'll be pulling maybe 2T so the vans going to be working!

Any opinions gratefully received.

Tom
SebRogers View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebRogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 16 at 10:06
Can't help on the 'how to' aspect of converting, but fwiw my '94 2.4 had a turbo/intercooler conversion done straight out of the factory (by ABT) and is still running sweet as a nut 100,000 miles and 22 years later.

I did have to have the gearbox rebuilt a couple of years back, but there's no way of knowing whether this has anything to do with the conversion.

110bhp / 240Nm. Longer 5th gear too (though this does mean a bit of shuffling between 4th and 5th, cos it's not as flexible as a modern tdi and doesn't like pulling hard until you get to c.1900rpm). More power is possible, but it's enough for me :)
'85 T3 Doka EJ22
'94 T4 Westy Cali Club ABT 2.4td
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 16 at 17:58
Sounds promising.

Now do I spend £2k or £6k on one :/

Tom
nikos View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 17 at 19:57
Still looking for one?
Scooby and scrappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scooby and scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 17 at 12:45
Hi I have got a great solid t4 body work is solid but dented in doors and some panels been a great work horse but ready to let go at the right price all is running as should be but had the opurtinity to purchase two doors a spare gear box and lights bumpers and lots of other bits so if you wanted you could tidy it up or keeps as a solid work horse would pull 2t no problem tow hitch on full roofers roof rack
Tel 07968897922 I'm in Durham but I could drive it to many parts eg gloucestershire Manchester or Scotland
Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply