The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slave cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slave cylinder
    Posted: 04 Sep 16 at 20:53
Hi everyone,

So I have just picked up my 1989 German imported westfalia 1.6 TD, and after a nice 300 mile drive it developed a 'small' problem. The slave cylinder is leaking, and i can't change gear when the engine is running. so i had to get a piggy bag from the recovery guys.

I know there are some post here about replacing the slave. so i think the leaking is either from a seal or where the pipe is connected. i had a look to see what replacement pipe there are, but non look like the one that i have. The one fitted is coiled around several times before it is connected to the cylinder.

What does that mean, and should i try to change it? if so which pipe should i use?

It seems only to leak when i press the clutch.
Schotte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 16 at 22:18
ok i seem to have found that looks like my pipe in the van.

https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/pipe-on-hydraulic-clutch-receiver-for-transporter-diesel-87-92_C061960.htm

should i get it and see if it needs changing or wait until i have taken out the slave?
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 16 at 17:24
Unless the pipe is rusted, ten to one it's the cylinder. The budget slave cylinder from Brickerks is only £13.90, cheaper than the pipe, so why not change that first.
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 16 at 20:41
You'll end up replacing the cylinder and the pipe and prob the flexible pipe. It's highly
Unlikely you'll get the banjo of the slave cylinder with out damaging the solid clutch line.
 Post Reply Post Reply