Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fresh air cable clip-its a bastard job!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh air cable clip-its a bastard job!
    Posted: 04 Sep 16 at 12:46
So here are some tips to ease your misery...
Basic facts: the SA has Audi 80 heater controls as we all know, but to make them work VWSA had to fix the fresh air cable to the heater box with a metal bracket.
The bummer is that they used the same spring clip as used on the other cables that are still fixed directly to the plastic heater box, but the clip doesnt quite grip the cable outer as well as it could.
So... you go outside on a frosty morning and twist the knob to get the heater blowing and the cable pops off. Arse.
Now you enter a world of pain.
The clip is located between the heater and the servo, half hidden by the drivers fresh air vent pipe.
Its a long way away and can only be reached with your right hand by laying across the cab floor and putting your arm up behind the crash beam beside the clutch pedal...the spring digs into the back of your hand a treat.
You only window on this miserable scene is by removing the little cubby hole on the left of the steering column.
I destroyed the back of my hand yesterday unsuccessfully trying to get this clip back on, gave up and had another go this morning with a fresh approach. It worked!
The trick is to get comfy first, protect your hand (note the cardboard and sardine tin lid that I slipped inside my glove) and be very patient... A string lasso fed down from the top end and hooked over the two prongs on the clip means that you can lift them over the notch in the metal bracket, so you right fore finger only has to push the clip on. It takes too much finger strength for mere mortals otherwise.
I also put a bit of white VHB tape on the bracket to help stop the cable outer slipping (just visible in the pics), only needs to be 8 or 9mm wide or it will foul the slot and notch for the clip...
Pics tell the rest, good luck if you have to tackle this shitty job.
http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/IanHolman/library/SA%20heater%20cable%20clip%20fix

Edited by silverbullet - 04 Sep 16 at 13:06
Have I missed anything?
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 16 at 13:05
Full marks for perseverance. I gave up and removed the dash when I reconnected mine.
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 16 at 13:49
Thanks Brian. Good to have it all working again. Popped some new bulbs in the control panel too, forgot that they come on with the ignition!
Have I missed anything?
Beetlecrusher View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beetlecrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 16 at 20:29
I have noticed that there is no illumination on my heater controls when I put the lights on. Is it much of a job to replace them and how do I get to them ?
2002 2.6 South African T XXV
What! Me Worry ?
Wychall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wychall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 16 at 21:05
It's likely to be the bulbs (3 little grain of wheat jobbies) which need replacing. Pull off the 3 knobs, undo four screws behind them and you should then be able to pull the panel off to replace the bulbs.
South African 1991 2.5i 5cyl Microbus - virgin, not campered - piloted by Brian.
Beetlecrusher View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beetlecrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 16 at 22:56
Thanks, Wychall, I`ll give it a go when I eventually find the time. 
2002 2.6 South African T XXV
What! Me Worry ?
 Post Reply Post Reply