The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heater/Fridge Service

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terlg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater/Fridge Service
    Posted: 30 Aug 16 at 18:54
Hello All

I've got a slightly ineffective fridge and an eberspacher that's given up the ghost.

I've spent a few hours on fridge and got good results as it now works consistently, but as i haven't much time or space i am contemplating spending some cash and getting an expert to have a look at them both.

I presume there are caravan/motorhome places that provide such a service? Can anyone recommend one in the south east? I'm based in london but willing to travel on a good recommendation...

Many thanks
craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 16 at 14:43
Hi,
Any luck with this?
Need to get my eber looked at too.
Cheers
VW T3 1987 Westfalia Club Joker
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 16 at 16:26
What model eberspacher is it.
Also what is it not doing.

Edited by Full Throttle - 04 Sep 16 at 16:26
craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 16 at 18:12
Not sure what model eber it is, D1/D2?
Fitted to a 1987 Club Joker 1.6TD (JX) with the digital timer.

It's not actually doing anything, cause the wiring to it has been disconnected.

You can see from the images below the wiring including the aftermarket cheap replacement battery charger is a bit of an abortion.
Full of choc blocks and scotch lock connectors.

I don't know where to start and what connectors were originally for what?

If anyone has an image of what it should be like that would help and be much appreciated.

The previous owner said he disconnected it cause he never used it and it was draining the battery.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 16 at 20:43
what are the numbers on the silver control box.
if it ends up being a diesel heater you wont get it started with a batter charger.
The glow plug draws up to 20 amps for a couple of minutes when starting up.

craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 16 at 21:21
Hi,  
Thanks for your reply.

I didn't know what the silver box was for? 
The numbers on it are 057 E38 (I think it is a letter E, obscured behind the bracket)
Is this control box for the Eber then?

The battery charger was fitted by the previous owner to replace the BBS, it is only a 4amp charger and I plan on changing this.
It has been wired to charge both the main and aux battery at the same time. (this battery charger only has one out-put, unlike the 2 on the BBS hence all the scotch blocks and choc blocks to make it fit)

What I don't know is how to rewire/reconnect the eber? then I will at least have an idea if it will try to fire up?

Thanks

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 16 at 00:26
The silver box is the controller for it.
It will have a long number on it, we need that to work out which one you have.
Is the heater outside under the van, Black box about 2ft by 1ft and a few inches deep.

craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 16 at 00:47
Ok, thanks.
I will have a look for the long number on the controller, nothing on the outside will need to remove it from the wall panel and have a look?
Yes the heater is fitted under the van (under sliding door LHD).
Thanks

terlg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terlg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 16 at 20:24
So my Eber has always been a bit temperamental and after much testing of wires i've determined that its probably down to loss over the cables as the battery has enough power but when you measure it at the box it's borderline.

But more recently it's stopped conking out due to not enough power on startup to starting to smoke but the fuel pump not kicking in.

Generally i'm happy fiddling but really don't have the time or space at the moment so wouldn't mind parting with some cash to get it working properly.

Has anyone ever taken one to caravan service place?
 Post Reply Post Reply