The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 cat removal ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocker tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 cat removal ?
    Posted: 01 Aug 16 at 22:53
Hello ! As a new member and new to owning a VWt4, i would like to ask you all, if , i remove the cat from my 2.5tdi 2000yr van (if it has one), will it fail the 'MOT' .  I say 'if it has one' as i'm not too sure if it has! I have only had the van a week & although it's got a yrs 'MOT' the exhaust is shot so i need a complete new one ! I'm going to convert it to a camper and it will only be used for the summer months. Also as an out of work engineer i'm going to fit a cheep steel one off Flee bay. Any help would be appreciated thank you :) 

Only with time you will learn the way !
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 16 at 05:19
 A quick search on vag-cat shows a catalyst-whether yours has one is something only you can determine.

P/N-Dependent on engine code.
rocker tim View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocker tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 16 at 13:41
Thank you for that photo, if that is what the cat looks like then i don't have one :) My exhaust after the flange has a round silencer type , not a preformed/ ribbed flat type .

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocker tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 16 at 14:35
I have took some photos of the pipe that i think is the cat but, & theres always a but! i can't find a way to put them on here, I have an apple PC !

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 16 at 18:49
Tdi cats are round not ribbed
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Camping Bazz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camping Bazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 16 at 12:24
I used a stainless steel d-cat pipe on my 1.9td and the mot has not been a problem for me.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocker tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 16 at 16:59
Hello all and thank you for all the reply. I have found out now that i do have a cat and thank to you all i know it's a round one, I'm going to try and find a complete system with out a cat to replace it with. As i will be doing low miles i'll get a steel one as it's the cheapest . My last camper had a steel one and it lasted over 10yrs. Can any one recomend or give me a clue as to where to get one ? The only one on "Flee Bay' is in Poland ! once again thank you all who replied Smile
little.legs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little.legs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 16 at 09:17
I got a full stainless decat system from tony banks exhausts in Leeds. It was actually lots cheaper than a mild steel vw replacement and has a lifetime guarantee. I'm not sure if he does mail order but worth contacting.
where's mi t'hammer
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocker tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 16 at 15:11
Thank you for that info would you happen to have a contact detail for him ?  I'll try to look him up on the net also . :)

donecan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donecan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 16 at 16:34
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocker tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 16 at 12:22
Hello to you all i've now replaced the complete system and taken out the 'cat' so thank you all for your help :)
 Post Reply Post Reply