The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - VW T5 1.9 2006 desperately need help. Coolant loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VW T5 1.9 2006 desperately need help. Coolant loss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 18 at 02:05
Hi mate, sounds like exactly the same thing is happening to me. Losing water, but no evidence of where it goes. The more pressure it gets under ie down the motorway it loses water, but using it round town at low speeds was fine in comparison. Then you hear the suction when you cut the engine & check the coolant & it reappears. Various mechanics have looked at it, worked on in & had there own opinion. Had numerous gas leak tests( if that’s what they’re called ) with the dye not changing colour so apparently not Head gasket. So had new water pump, new radiator, new thermostat but was advised to leave it out as to get more water flow. Still had problems doing exactly the same thing . Then was advised to have new head bolts wound in sequence as it might be head lift from stretched bolts, so got some 150 head bolts from dark side developments & had a mech do the job & thought it had solved it but after a week back to same problems. I then agreed for the guy to get the head off & tested but kept me hanging for months to do the work rather than telling me he can’t/won’t do it.
So had some local mechanics look at it last week, they of course have to do there prolimerary checks despite any previous history & they seem to think it’s a blockage so flushed system through & gradually got more & more shit out, the heater matrix was clogged up too apparently also with a hose clip not connected so could be letting air in I was told. They refitted the new stat & said just try it! had it back for 4 days now took it to work local, everything fine. Haven’t had to fill the bottle but not had a chance to push the van yet, so today with no weight in the back had it up to 75-80 for about 30 secs looked down & saw the temp gauge up to 120 so immediately backed it off & the temp gauge returned to 90. It got me home another 3 miles then checked the coolant & the bottle was empty. The coolant warning light hadn’t come in though. So I’m guessing after reading your similar experiences that I need the head off & skimmed if necessary & a new gasket but not a BGR one? Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Saladodger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 18 at 06:38
Silly question but the one thing you haven’t mentioned is the auxiliary water pump, probe to failure! It’s situated under the van almost under the passenger seat. See if you can see any coolant drips. A catastrophic loss of coolabt like that means serious leak. There’s also a pipe that runs in front of the block that corroded but you would see a lot of wet in the engine bay. The aux pump is situated so that if it fails the coolant pisses out onto the road and by the time you pull over there are no readily obvious signs except for the odd pink coloured drip hanging off the underside somewhere. Let me know how you go. Certainly sounds almost head gasket related. If not the pump and If you’re on the Facebook T5 forum run the symptoms by John Homles. Good luck.
heskethlmu View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 18 at 10:16
Hi mate.
You seem to be having an identical nightmare with it.
I'm no mech but the final time I got it seen to they put on a genuine VW gasket and said BGR are rubbish. He named it before I told him that's what had been used.

They did their own checks too and found the rad was rotten inside and had collapased. This knackered the flow etc. The 2nd and then final time the head didn't need a skim. The BGR gasket had clearly let go.

So combination of a new rad a and proper gasket solved my issue. I am 13k miles down the line now and no issues again.

I could clearly see under the bottle there was a load of light brown/red residue all over the place. Have a good look right underneath the bottle.

I did a lot of asking around and a quite a few people have been spot on with diagnoses.

Get the van up to temp. Park it up to go stone cold overnight ideally. Go back to it and open the coolant cap. If there is a hiss/pressure release its a good indication of the head, head gasket or block holding that pressure.

I was lucky it was gasket only but had a few mechanics and few K to find that out. The BGR gasket might have worked with a properly working rad but for peace if mind I would get a genuine part.

Sounds like you have changed everything else I was directed to.

If you're planning on seeing it through and having the van for a long time it might be worth chucking a new rad on??? The front end has to come off to sort the head anyway I think.
The symptoms did improve with a new rad but the gasket had gone.

I'm just kind of summarising the advice I was given on here and what finally worked. I'm not talking from any kind of mechanical background. (await shots fired by people in the know)

Keep the thread posted mate. It's good to know what solved the problems.

Cheers

Neil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234