The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rust Treatment Products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rust Treatment Products
    Posted: 08 Jul 16 at 21:04
Doubt if any LT owners are unfamiliar with rust, and I've been doing research experimenting with a product I haven't used before.
It's called Restore Rust Remover by Shield Technology.

I use Vactan and Dinitrol regularly, both of which I believe are based around Phosphoric acid.
All similar products as well as treating rust also remove some metal, and bind the rust to metal as a black compound which in many cases you need to sand it off.
They can also damage rubber/plastics etc.

Recently I came across a problem with the channels which hold the rubber seals on my RR.
Before treatment they were strong enough but after cleaning up were too weak to be of any use.

I bought both products, one a solution which you mix with water (5%) and the other a gel.

Below is a picture of an adjustable I had totally given up on, penetrating oil etc didn't have any effect.
Forgot to take a pic first but after a few mins with a green pan scrubber this was the outcome, and I had no problems dismantling the adjustable.

The solution can be used until it no longer works, allow to settle and then get rid of the black stuff by filtering through a paper coffee filter or similar.

The gel worked on the channels too, just rub with a pan scrubber for a few mins and wipe off the black gunge. For large areas though I think it could be expensive, so you have to weigh this against the cost of dismantling/repairing.

In both cases after washing off with water there is a grey coating left on the metal which is supposed to protect against further rusting.
Going to leave the adjustable as is to test this long term.

No decent rust treatment is cheap this is what I bought direct:-

Pre-clean degreaser 500ml £19.95 (For the engine bay mainly)
Gel 250ml £14.75
Remover £24.75

Impressed so far, will report back now and again.

LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 16 at 14:36
Man that is pricey!
Could you not just use a brake cleaner for degreasing? Lots cheaper! Although I read that's no good for plastic either.Unhappy

Edited by Monster LT - 09 Jul 16 at 14:51
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 16 at 16:20
Price wise it's not too bad cos it makes 10L of de-greaser.
I have other de-greaser products but you have to wear chemical protection/respirator etc.
None of the above products need anything like that.

"RESTORE products can be used by a diverse range of users, from restorers of all type of vehicles, boat builders, model engineers etc. They are water-based, non-acidic, non-toxic, biodegradable derusting concentrates, which only remove the rust and do not attack plastics, rubbers and non-ferrous metals (Products that contain phosphoric acid will remove rust and a certain amount of good metal). There is also no danger of flash rusting occurring when parts are removed from the bath (a powerful corrosion inhibitor is included in the formulation)."
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

paul_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 19 at 10:00
Hi Andy, How have you got along with the Restore products?
VW LT35 1982 2.4D Niesmann Bischoff Clou 670F
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 19 at 10:45
No problems at all, the gel is my favourite for paint chips etc.
Works way quicker than vactan in colder temperatures.

Post Reply Post Reply