The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have I bought a good van

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have I bought a good van
    Posted: 07 Jul 16 at 09:53
I am a newbie to camper vans and VW's in general. There are so many variants and models...one day I will try and read about the history of all the different models.
I have bought a LT 32 95 2003 converted van with a rock and roll bed (I will have to try and fit seat belts some how)
Questions are these: (and thank you in advance for any replies) 

1. What do the different numbers after LT represent or mean e.g what is the difference between and LT32 and a LT 35?

2. Does any one know where the earthing points are on my van (as my RH rear light flashes when indicating right) 

3. There is lots on this forum about manuals, so I will try and find the time to read everything but for speed can anyone point me in the right direction for finding one

4. Finally, any one had one of these vans...any good? and problems to look out for?

Thanks in advance and look forward to being a member (and if any one needs a bit of plumbing and heating advice just PM me as that's what I teach)
LT32 95 2003...very new to VW camping
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 16 at 20:36
Hello and welcome, the numbers are pretty straightforward - the 32 = 3200kg gross weight, the 95 is your engine horsepower.

These are generally good vans if looked after and will happily go to 250k miles and onwards.  With the 5 cylinder engine if you don't know when the timing belt was last done then probably safest to get it changed along with the water pump as the results of a belt snap could be catastrophic.  If you get engine running problems they are difficult to diagnose without the manual and Vagcom/VCDS as lots of different things cause very similar fault symptoms and just randomly changing stuff rapidly gets expensive...

I have a copy of the workshop manual downloaded from e manuals but I wouldn't recommend it as bedtime reading - only a tenner though.

Not sure about the earthing points as my van rear is full of water tanks, batteries and miscellaneous junk.  If I had the problem I'd probably just run another earth from the body to the light unit.

Post up a photo or two of your van when you get a chance,

TT
Plumber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 16 at 13:35
thanks for the reply...yeah il prob buy the manual, it may come in handy. Il have a tidy and try and get some pics posted
LT32 95 2003...very new to VW camping
Eddy Dar View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddy Dar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 17 at 08:37
I like sprinters but like the LT's even better, just change the belts regular. Even when they break they're easy to fix. 

Done quite a few with Jumped snapped belts, down to bad maintenance and people who dont know what they are doing.

Usually set pump timing by hand and or use vcds sometimes.

Old vans are the best.

They sound sweet too & to think they came out in 1995 --- yeee haaa

Edited by Eddy Dar - 07 Feb 17 at 08:38
 Post Reply Post Reply