Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

front subframe removaml

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front subframe removaml
    Posted: 14 Jun 16 at 12:07
I have stress bulges and/or a rust problem on the chassis rails where the rear of front subframe bolts up through.  Can anyone comment on this,(common problem through continuous pounding or inherent rust trap) and,  removal of front subframe. Do I systematically strip everything off in situ, then drop it out, or disconnect what is necessary and remove with all things attached??  
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 16 at 20:19
most of the bolts will shear - not a problem at the front but the rears are captive so you might be chopping sections anyway jut to replace said nuts... and its heavy - very heavy get in the way of gravity and it'll do you some harm! not a job i'd be taking lightly!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 16 at 10:34
If you have a proper sized trolley and a slab of 3/4 ply, drop the lot as one, the diff is a heavy thing on it's own to fiddle out.
Front chassis rails are twin-walled with a U-section reinforcer inside. VW/SDP helpfully put a nice big hole in the top of the rail to let the rain in, so they rust from the top down.

In the process of reassembling mine post-surgery, I cut the sides out and seam welded 4.5mm (3/16" in old money) plates in to replace the weetabix.
All documented on the other channel "Our syncro Caravelle"

Don't cut closer than 15mm from the bottom of the box, the inner section has a big bevel folded on the lower edges and you won't be able to stitch it all back together. Get as close as you can to the top and you will get all of it out.
A sonic tool is very handy, it's awkward work for driveway heroes.

Have I missed anything?
 Post Reply Post Reply