The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rev counter on tdi swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rev counter on tdi swap
    Posted: 06 Jun 16 at 21:03
Hey! Question for all those who have done a tdi swap and are using the original t3 rev counter..

I have an afn fitted but dont know where to get the signal from, i have not "w" on the back of the alternator.
I tried coming straight out of the ecu (67 on my 80pin ecu) it moves but is not at the correct rpm.. ex- idle is 0rpm so clearly not right there..

How have you done it?

Many thanks
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 16 at 12:29
if you are a tad lazy (like me!) you take your alternator to your local starter motor/alternator repair independant and get them to solder a wire connection to one of the phases (princeley sum of £10-15) for your 'w' connection then connect to wire to dash.
Alternatively you-tube it and crack on yourself.
When completed you will need to adjust your rev counter to actual engine rpm (screw back of gauge) easy if you have Ultra/scan gauge connected.
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 16 at 19:15
I think there's a black box to convert ecu signal to match the original rev counter.     Check the "werk's" Web shop.   If they don't I think Rjes the Subaru conversion people do.
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
mrmee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 16 at 22:29
Ok cheers, didn't know about this hidden adjusting screw. I'll try take a wire of the 67pin again and adjust as did have a reading just was not correct to real rpm!
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 16 at 08:48
I did as Randolph says. opened up alternator and took a feed off. It`s neither a quick, nor overly complex job but it does work. 
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
mrmee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 16 at 22:49
Cheers guys got it sorted today, took a wire off the alternator! Can be done with the alternator on the van least in my case. Was nice quick fix! But first rev counter didn't work, luckily i had a spare! 
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 16 at 09:42
That`s interesting. You used an existing output?  
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
mrmee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 16 at 11:14
No took a wire from it - but had to solder one on first! ;) 
 Post Reply Post Reply