The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head wind.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JILLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head wind.
    Posted: 25 May 16 at 03:57
Mines a non turbo 2.4. Show it a gentle upward slope and it throws its hands up in surrender. Cry  Thats bad enough but I have lately taken to checking out the weather forecast to see if I might get a head wind as well.............. Sometimes I have to drop down a gear just to maintain 40mph.............. LOL  Bet those lorries love me.......... Like I care!
1991 LT35e
2003 Beetle TDI (hers)
1991 Fiat Panda 750 Mania (for sale)
1985 T3 Devon pop top
2000 MGF
jools tools View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jools tools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 16 at 01:16
Has it had new fuel filters since you've owned it? If there's any possibility that the tank has some clag in the bottom of it and it's been sucked into the filters, they will start to mildly starve the engine of fuel and you'll notice this most when you need it most. New ones are not terribly expensive, though you might find there's two - one next to the engine and one in the n/s front wheelarch. Change both.
Also, check that the throttle cable is moving as much as the pedal does - I mention this as the adjustment on the cable is a plastic widget at the diesel pump end and it's a bit flimsy - when I first got my LT (with a turbo, too) it wouldn't climb hills either and it was due to the adjuster having unclipped itself - the throttle would only ever open about half way.
HTH
JILLY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JILLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 16 at 01:56
When I first got it, year ago now, went through the lot. New filter, oil, belts, brakes etc. Always keen when I get a new motor.......... Also it had been laid up for 5+ years so it was going to need some attention. The wheelarch filter bracket was badly corroded and I had to grind it off in the end so I didnt replace that one, just bypassed it. Fitted a 12v fuel pump at the same time as it had an issue although this may have been solved with the new filter anyway but it was getting air in somewhere, you could see it in the plastic pipe. No starting probs now anyway even though the glow plugs dont work properly. Think its the relay. Turn ignition on and they work for about one second then go off again, and glow plug light stays on after engine has started for a minute or so as well which i think is just telling me theres a fault! I did check to see if the throttle is working properly and it is. Yours is a turbo you say and I think that makes all the difference but I can live with it. Strangely as soon as you get on a motorway it seems to find a few extra mph, well until a hill appears anyway. Smile Or a bloody headwind! Just lately I have been on an economy drive, I dont need to get anywhere quick these days least of all a grave so I just poodle along gazing in the mirror at the tailback I'm sometimes causing. Embarrassed Twice I have done 400 miles from full to a quarter which I'm sure is an improvement on what it was doing before trying to wrestle the last ounce out of it! Had an old boy come in my yard the other day wanted to know if I wanted to sell it. Err, no. He is interested in one of my boats now though. Thumbs Up
1991 LT35e
2003 Beetle TDI (hers)
1991 Fiat Panda 750 Mania (for sale)
1985 T3 Devon pop top
2000 MGF
 Post Reply Post Reply