The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member, first VeeDub!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegaz22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member, first VeeDub!
    Posted: 24 May 16 at 19:56
Hi guys, I seen there isn't a new member announcement forum here so thought I'd just post here, just bought my First Vee Dub!, an LHD 89 Westfalia pop top multivan with an AAZ conversion done by syncronuts, Been wanting a campervan since i was 21 after going to Le bug show @ Spa Franchorchamps with a guy i used to work with, so been waiting about 15 years and finally bought one last night after unsuccessfully looking for a bike to replace my Honda Sp1 that i sold last year, its a german import so not as bad for the rot as some of the UK models i have seen but its bodywork and paints still a little tired in spots here and there but all in all seems pretty solid.

I have been shopping for the bits it needs and was looking at buying panels from jK, i need the lower rear quarter at the back bumper and a new rear arch, but thinking of just getting the whole rear arch side panel as the originals been dented by a fence post above the arch near the sliding door, are the panels from JK ok quality? or are there better ones out there?, it also needs new rubbers on the drivers cab door window as these are starting to fall to bits.

will be looking at a paintjob once i sort out all the rough bits prepped to a good enough standard

As i bought it 

looking a bit better

before and after with a satin coat (well, after cleaning them and getting the moss and algae off them!)

also coated mirrors, look better/new in the flesh as the sun shining in isn't doing them justice

I also did both front grilles and polished up vw badge, knocked the rust off the wipers and painted them, but battery on my phone ran out before i could snap some pics, painted the inside of the bumpers to prevent them rusting any further, managed to pull out my webasto water heater to get model number off it to do fault finding on why its not working

Also got the polisher out to see how well the flat paint would come up with a bit of a polish, i think you can tell where i did my test area  :wink:

I have also got rid of the mildew off the felt pop top with milton, but what i would like to know is what people have used to clean the actual canvas itself as mine has quite a few marks and what you use to protect it afterwards

Cheers

mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 16 at 23:58
top work..  come down here and use the polisher on mine?

See rowlsey for landy mirror brackets.  the old elephant ears have to go mate.
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
weegaz22 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegaz22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 16 at 20:59
Possibly later on, but right now spending the money where the van needs it at the moment, i do have a list of "needs" and "wants" so tackling the "needs" first before things get any worse, things like sorting out the bits of seam rash and the little rust holes here and there and the biggest bit which is replacing the rear arch panel, after that i can start on the "wants"

Anyone know/recommend what i can use to clean the pop top canvas? its got a couple of rust marks and general grime on it, want to try and get it looking as new as possible then hit it with a weather protector of some sort, i have already hit the fibreglass roofs felt coating with milton to get rid of the mildew but thought that might be too aggressive and maybe rot the canvas.
 Post Reply Post Reply