The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EU...in or out...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242526
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 20 at 19:09
Originally posted by nicq nicq wrote:

if brexit is so bad for the car industry why are VW moving a plant to Turkey. 

Sorry... but it would really help if you did a bit more research before posting.

1. Firstly the state of the process - last October VW actually announced a delay to the start of work to set up that plant, due to Turkey's actions in the Kurdish region in northern Syria, so it isn't currently going ahead at all.

2. Secondly, the reasons why VW have considered building a car plant in Turkey probably have a lot to do with the fact that there's a trade deal between the EU and Turkey that allows the passage of goods between the two markets without customs restrictions. It's called the Ankara Agreement, and it took eight years to negotiate from the initial talks in 1987 to the point at which it came into effect 31 December 1995. It will also leave Turkey in a better position in terms of trade with the EU than the UK will be if we leave at the end of this year with No-Deal.

Now imagine you're sitting in the boardroom at Ford, Vauxhall, Nissan, Toyota, JLR, etc, and you're currently seeing a UK government that is talking up a No-Deal scenario. You've explained very clearly to this government, numerous times, the potential impact to your business model in the UK, both in terms of customs costs and delays, of continuing to operate without a trade deal with your main regional market. Where do you think the board are going to decide to invest their money to build a next generation electric car? In the UK, or somewhere that has frictionless trade with the EU?

Edited by clift_d - 18 Feb 20 at 20:32
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 20 at 21:57
please make sure of your gactd
The building of the plant has been postponed until February 
The EU does not havrFYS with Turkey both ways only from the EU to Turkey. From Turkey to the EU still has tariffs 
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 20 at 21:59
Sorry for mistakes, bloody hard work on a phone 
Mike Noc View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Noc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 20 at 22:07
Originally posted by clift_d clift_d wrote:

No need to believe me when I say a forthcoming No-Deal Brexit poses an existential threat to the UK Car Industry? It's the consensus view pretty much everywhere except the 'Leave bubble'.

As you well know I wasn't talking about that - I was talking about your statement linking the Bridgend closure to Brexit, which is untrue.

Originally posted by clift_d clift_d wrote:

You can selectively pick and choose your quotes and tidbits all you like, with a cheeky nudge and a wink, but the car manufacturing industry does not agree with your rose-tinted view of its prospects in the UK if we end up in a No-Deal scenario.

Priceless! Have another look and you'll see that you selectively quoted yourself and I quoted you in full. Read it through again and tell me what I missed out:

The s*** piles up so fast you need wings to stay above it...

Ford to close Bridgend engine plant with 1500 jobs lost on site and many hundreds more lost in the supply chain.

At this point I think it's fair to say that if you still think that a No Deal Brexit, or indeed any kind of Brexit, will be beneficial for the UK then you've either got your hand in the cookie jar or you're a muppet.

As for my rose tinted view how have you worked that out? I haven't given a view on UK prospects in the event of a no deal Brexit.

There really isn't any reasoning with you so I'll give up and I'll leave you to it. Have fun.  Smile

'The Big Slow' LT35 1989 normally aspirated Diesel Horsebox - Gone but not forgotten.
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 20 at 00:16
Originally posted by nicq nicq wrote:

please make sure of your gactd
The building of the plant has been postponed until February 
The EU does not havrFYS with Turkey both ways only from the EU to Turkey. From Turkey to the EU still has tariffs 

The EU / Turkey Customs Union is tariff free in both directions for all industrial goods, so I'm not sure where you got that bit of info from.

Edited by clift_d - 19 Feb 20 at 08:38
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 20 at 05:44
WOW!
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 20 at 08:39
Originally posted by randolph57 randolph57 wrote:

WOW!

If you say so...
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 20 at 09:13
Turkey. The EU and Turkey are linked by a Customs Union agreement, which came into force on 31 December 1995. Turkey has been a candidate country to join the European Union since 1999, and is a member of the Euro-Mediterranean partnership.
https://ec.europa.eu › index_en

PEOPLE ALSO ASK

Does Turkey have free trade with EU?
Results for Turkey
However, the free trade agreements (FTAs) signed by the EU do not extend to Turkey, so the EU's FTA partners can export to Turkey tariff-free, while maintaining tariffs on Turkish goods, unless they also conclude a separate FTA agreement with Turkey.
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 20 at 10:36
If you follow the first link in your post - the one to the EU Trade Commission, you will find a link to the actual Customs Union Agreement:

Originally posted by EC Decision 96/142/EC EC Decision 96/142/EC wrote:

SECTION I
Elimination of customs duties and charges having equivalent effect
Article 4
Import or export customs duties and charges having equivalent effect shall be wholly abolished between the Community and Turkey on the date of entry into force of this Decision. The Community and Turkey shall refrain from introducing any new customs duties on imports or exports or any charges having equivalent effect from that date. These provisions shall also apply to customs duties of a fiscal nature.

So there are no customs duties on goods passing either way due to this trade deal, hence the attraction of building a factory in Turkey. Our manufacturing sector used to be in a similar position due to our membership of the EU, which is why successive governments were able to persuade companies like Nissan to invest in manufacturing in the UK. Unfortunately this will no longer the case as a result of Brexit, and so new investment in factories will not come to the UK, it will go elsewhere.
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 20 at 11:01
It's only your data protection. That's data that as a commodity is now considered to be as or more valuable than oil as it allows those that hold it to engineer more ways to manipulate you and extract wealth from yourselves.

clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 22 at 19:36
From the OBR:
Quote In summary, there is little in the data since the TCA was implemented to suggest the assumption of a 15 per cent reduction in trade intensity as a result of Brexit is no longer a central estimate.

Sunlit uplands anyone...?
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 22 at 11:30
Interesting piece from the Financial Times on the impacts of Brexit on the UK economy.

randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 22 at 19:10
Smoke and Mirrors all of it!

At the end of the day we/re all screwed!
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 22 at 08:15
Interesting comment this...

I wonder how these same people feel now?
I mean we "took back control of r borders" right?

If it isnt obvious now to these people that the UKs issues were, and are, self made as a result of decades of incompetant governments, then it wont be until they have finished blaming everyone else for everything thats shit in their life and your turn comes around...

As much as everyone who is anti immigration/asylum/"forinerz cummin ere takin r jobz!1" isn't a full weight, weapons grade gammon... a lot of them are, and i know for a fact that they weren't all completely unaware that leaving the EU would result in an increase in illegal immigration, because I was in many discussions where quite a lot of people informed them it would.
It was "Project Fear" and "scaremongering" though... much like everything else thats gone to shit since we left. Two terms that basically mean "thats not what i want to hear so it cant be true".

Brexit is a clusterfuck. A massively painful and expensive clusterfuck.
I'm not even totally opposed to being outside the EU, just the way we did it.

Originally posted by ELVIS ELVIS wrote:

General opinion I get from everyone I know is happy to stay in if it wasn't for immigration/asylum seekers.

We're not talking casual racists or xenophobes - just the average chap(s) who feels slightly aggrieved that school places are over subscribed, doctors surgery over subscribed, social housing etc. I guess it's all very well having a rapidly expanding population if the public services provided cater for the numbers.

Maybe look at why the UK is a good choice for immigrants? I guess there must be a law governing parity of pay for benefits received.

Asylum/illegals? Follow the law maybe?

As has been said, so much shite being produced I have yet to see well qualified statistics either way.

I pay the local polish community £4 for 20 Marlboro so happy days.

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 22 at 09:57
Originally posted by Tee3 Tee3 wrote:

Brexit is a clusterfuck. A massively painful and expensive clusterfuck.

It was always going to be thus, and people were warned. The big question is how much permanent damage is it going to do to the UK before the idiots in charge stop pretending that it's been a big plus, and sensible people are allowed to step in and sort it out.

The UK was the 'sick man of Europe' before we joined the Common Market. Chances are we'll be taking that title again before this is fixed.
boilerman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boilerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 23 at 16:09
Shows how long its been since I've bothered any of you, as this is so old news now. Anyroadup, my 

twopenny's worth, is, as we have a place in France(ok bighead), I reckon we were just getting accepted 

after 30 odd yrs,Smile when Brexit happened. We have made some great friends though.

I get the argument for there being unelected bods running the show, but where I live in Blighty, is a very 

strong, one party area, and I support the other half, and as long as I live here, my vote is worthless, a bit

like the EU really.

I just liked the idea that I was European, as well as a brit, now I'm a third world Immigrant.

Sorry if this all old hat now, I just had to tell someoneLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 242526