The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Jumble > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VW T3 Westfalia California - 2.5 Subaru

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donnyburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW T3 Westfalia California - 2.5 Subaru
    Posted: 23 May 16 at 10:08
Up for sale is my lovely 1989 T3 Westfalia California, powered by an EJ25 Subaru quad-cam. It's a proper hooligan! (as the video will show).

I’ll be sorry to see it go, as it’s been everything I ever wanted from a camper but we simply don’t get the use out of it that we’d like to, and I'm wanting me a yank truck.

Firstly, the engine. It's 2.5l quad-cam from a '97 Legacy, with around 55k miles when I bought it in November 2013, from a well-known guy who did the conversions, who did the work on this. For the conversion, RJES components were used for all the parts required, including a full (£800) stainless exhaust system. I've covered about about 10,000 miles since I bought it (I don't really keep track!) There are brand new head gaskets, new thermostat and and new radiator (along with 17 fresh litres of coolant), all within the last couple of thousand miles. I had an overheating issue on the way to a show in 2014, and got all this fitted professionally, along with sending the heads away for a skim (it was the first skim for these) to make sure everything was 100%. I use the bus for town and motorway driving, and the temperature is back on track, the fan kicks in perfectly, and does exactly what it should do. It's gives out somewhere in the region of 175bhp, sounds amazing, and really does surprise (and embarrass) a lot of people. This has been mated to an AAP gearbox, with the longest ratios, with a 3 part clutch and all new CV joints all installed just before I bought it. Motorway driving is very quiet at 60mph. Obviously it gets louder the quicker you drive, and it'll hit 3 figures easily. The factory Subaru immobiliser is still installed. I renewed the plugs a couple of thousand miles ago for the correct (damn expensive!) items.

The brakes were all overhauled with new calipers, pads, shoes, drums and braided hoses, and fresh fluid all before I bought it. It stops very well. I have recently had the N/S radius rod.

The suspension is all German TUV approved, 50mm drop with all poly bushes except the upper wishbone ones, I'm told this is because the genuine ones are better here.

The body is good. There are a couple of little bubbles here and there on the seams, but it's all solid underneath, and hasn't progressed whatsoever in my ownership and they don't worry me at all. These are all shown in the photos. The O/S/F front arch had a repair weld done at the seatbelt mounting point. All issues are individually photographed below. I have given it a fair amount of attention recently, sorting 2 bubbles that had developed into holes below the rear side glass, the drivers step, drivers footwell and offside rear quarter. I've given the underneath a coating of waxoyl in the usual places too. I have also spent about 30 hours giving the whole body a full compound, polish wax and detail. The interior will be professionally valeted this week (22/05/16) and kept in that condition.

The wheels are Porsche D90's, 16'x8' all round, in decent nick. There's a few scuffs and kerb marks here and there, but they're nice-looking wheels and suit the bus. All 4 tyres were changed last year and haven’t covered many miles. They’re all correctly speed and load rated items.

Up front there are the more rare (French) yellow inner headlights.

Inside, it's all the usual Westfalia excellence. Fridge, double hob, electric tap all fully working. The poptop is fully sealed and waterproof (last year at Deva proved this well!). Captains seats all fully functional too, and make a big difference to comfort on long drives. It's very, very comfortable to sleep in, moreso than my bed at home. It has an Eberspacher, but the control unit was removed at some point in its life so I've never used it. It retains all the original curtains which have been in use every time we camp. The front screen one is baggy, but we counter that by clipping it together. I’ll happily demonstrate this to anyone viewing.

We (family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teenagers and 3 dogs) have slept in this very comfortably, easily the best option for room and ease of use. We can't fault it at all.

With it, I will include the ladder bought from Brickwerks, and bolt-in middle seat (this one from a Caravelle) if you want to get a couple more passengers in. It has the factory option rails in the cargo floor for these.

I will also include the pop-top cover, bought last year. It’s a Gunzl item and makes a huge difference to the darkness and sound for upstairs.
The radio is the original Blaupunkt item and works, but I’ve recently changed the speakers for more new items. I’ve kept all the originals in one of the cupboards should anyone wish to backdate it. I will also throw in the Fiamma bike rack I got with it, a Brickwerks guage pod and any other related items I've acquired for it.

Please note, the rev counter isn't connected. The engine revs higher than the gauge goes to, and it's got its own limiter anyway. (6750rpm IIRC). It's something I've meant to do since I bought it but never got round to it. 

MOT was passed on 02/10/2016. Passed very well, the only advisory being the LHD headlights which I’ve just added some tape on for now. The nly advisories were ‘Oil leak play in n/s steering rack end’ and ‘Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A'

Price-wise, I'm looking for £15,000. I’m not after a swap, unless you've got an early 50's Chevy or Ford truck.

I am happy to get any specific photos for people of any particular areas.

It's located in Kendal, 10 minutes off M6 J36. I can get more pics of areas I might have missed if anyone wants.

I am contactable via this thread, via PM, facebook (if you have me on there) or via text on 07872945612

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZRMPJInea4
donnyburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donnyburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 16 at 10:07
Update - there was a 'stalling at junctions' issue that has now been resolved. After phone calls / messages with RJES, Nick Tune and Simon Davey over the weekend, we discovered that there was a small wiring error (by RJES) causing the VSS and engine check light to not work. This has now been sorted, as has a small vacuum leak from the manifold-fuel rail hose. Additionally, the IACV (idle air speed control valve) was clogged up causing the same issue, so it's been removed and given a full clean with a tin of carb cleaner and cotton buds as per prescribed by Nick. I've just taken it out for a drive (with a full heat cycle too) and tried to recreate the stalls at all the same places that it would normally do, and it's been completely fine. The check engine light now also displays 'no problems'. You can be rest assured that there are no running issues with this motor!

Am I also negotiable (to a degree) on the price. :)

Edited by donnyburger - 02 Jun 16 at 10:08
 Post Reply Post Reply