The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JX Boost pressure setting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 16 at 10:29
I thought about asking who the cat was! Also looks like your stripping that pump on the lounge carpet..  
1990 Westfalia California 1.6TD
dave friday View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 16 at 11:59
Tiled outside bar top!
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 16 at 15:11
let's hope I can see the details of the pump parts more clearly!
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 16 at 09:48
Bit of an update having picked up a worn pump for a couple of beer tokens from a kind chap called "uncle monty" on club80-90. The fuel delivery on and off boost is limited by the lda mechanism. The retracted stop sets the fuel rate off boost within the overall limit set by the max fuel screw. How to set this retracted lever position to match the fuel required just before boost kicks in accurately I assume would need a rolling Road or as I have done 20 Road trips until it feels like it picks up quickly without smoke. I would recommend leaving this alone if it has not already been moved. The upper limit is the far more interesting setting to play with. I first adjusted the rod length to the maximum lever arm possible that allows the retracted position to just rest on the stop. Then with a tiny blob of blutack on the max stop check your lda is getting to the max position. When confirmed you can allow more fuel on max boost by removing some material from the lda stop plate/lever or the stop itself as long as you have sufficient stroke left in the lda to get there. As I had a spare pump I took the lever from this and removed just over 2mm from it. Put a little blu-tack on the stop again and took it for a drive. There was a marked difference at top speed, it pulls away from 70mph (just under 4000rpm, 0.9bar boost) to 75-77mph much quicker. I cannot tell you if you need an intercooler to burn this extra fuel. I have one fitted and cannot see any smoke at all in car headlights at night unless the engine is cold and I put the pedal on the floor. One downside is my gets have gone from 550 degrees max to 575 degrees uphill doing 70mph. So with no intercooler watch the Temps if you do this. My healthy e46 2ltr BM and mk4 2ltr golf produce more smoke when pushed. I could probably remove a little more to allow a bit more fuel on max boost but I don't see the point; at this rpm I have no desire to get a better response as the egt temp will rise again as a penalty. If your engine smokes only on Max boost you may need to back the lda off a bit or get more air into the engine somehow. I also have a new k and n filter but don't know if this makes any difference or not.

Under normal driving the turbo boost picks up at just under 3000rpm getting you to 4100rpm plenty quick enough. If I labour the engine the boost will pick up around 2000rpm, this means it is easier to drive if you are lazy with the gears.

I did the governor mod on the old pump which is actually simple to do on a bench but means you mess up your idle and max fuel settings to remove and replace the pump top. Due to this I am saving it for another day when I am used to the new power I have already gained.

One thing I still don't understand is why anyone would want to fit a bleed valve kit if your turbo can get to 1bar or more through adjusting the wastegate. Mine is still fitted but closed.

Cheers for now

Zeb

Edited by Zeb - 23 Jun 16 at 13:38
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 16 at 00:13
Thanks Zeb,I'm going to fit an intercooler before upping the fuel (800deg c!)
A boost controller could be used to make adjustments from the cab.
Kr,Baz.
1992 1.6td syncro
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 16 at 01:03
If the temp reading is correct your engine will be melting surely. Maybe ok for very short bursts but 650-700'C for any length of time seems to be max recommended egt temp.

Edited by Zeb - 25 Jun 16 at 01:04
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 16 at 10:02
Yes it's the max temp (810 deg c) for short periods,it seems to stop getting any higher!!
This is foot to the floor up hill in top gear and into a strong wind.
Tickover is about 106 deg c.
I've seen pictures of an inter cooled van showing 700 deg c.
I still have to fit my new fast acting "exposed tip" probe!!
And replace the oil pump with the new one.

Edited by dave friday - 25 Jun 16 at 10:33
1992 1.6td syncro
boxer998 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boxer998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 18 at 16:16
Hi 

Not sure how old this thread is but it's deffo the most interesting one on tuning the JX I've seen.

Would appreciate some help:

I've got the 1.6 Td I'm running a GTD pump top on a stock JX body, with governor mod carried out. Defender intercooler with fan ( fan yet to be connected) fitted into the side of the engine bay by a very cool welder, oil cooler and at the moment just the boost gauge.

I've not adjusted the fueling at all and I get quite a bit of smoke when I boot it but it clears to nothing on steady or progressive throttle. ( passed MOT)

The pump has transformed the bus, I can't get any more than .6 bar on the gauge ( bleed valve fitted and closed.  but it goes really well up to 78mph on the satnav  I'm on 215/65R16s and the stock 5 speed box. so need to work out what that is in rpm.  Bit too much smoke on the heavy foot but the boost won't come up any higher with one turn out on the bleed screw. 

Main thing I changed recently is to take the slack out of the throttle cable and adjust the stops it seems to rev much higher. 

I've got a Tdi if I blow it up but I really like the way it drives.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234