The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AGG conversion - clutches and flywheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote club joker 84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AGG conversion - clutches and flywheels
    Posted: 10 May 16 at 00:05
Hi all - just started on my AGG conversion and scratching my head over clutches and flywheels.

A tried and tested solution seems to be to use a JX shit plate, pressure plate, friction plate and input shaft (or shortened petrol one).  This would fit with a jx starter.    I have flywheel and shit plate at the moment, but need the rest.  Also, I have a standard petrol input shaft that would need altering.  This is a 215mm diameter clutch and can apparently slip?

Another solution seems to be  to use a tdi flywheel (not sure which one?), a VR6 pressure plate and the friction plate from my old 1.9dg engine (222mm diameter).  I think that this works with a tdi starter and the brickwerks adapter (https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/tdi-starter-adaptor-t3-engine-conversions.html).  The only bit of this I have is the friction plate.  Being larger, this one doesn't slip.

Presumably you can also use a VR6 friction plate with the above if you purchased the tdi input shaft from Brickwerks?

My AGG engine came with its clutch, pressure plate and flywheel still on it.  I assume that the friction plate would not fit with the splines from the T3 box (not tried it as yet).  Would it be possible to keep it all as it is and swap in my dg friction plate?  I know that I would also need a flat shitplate, but I can get one from Brickwerks.  AGG flywheel looks quite a lot different to the JX one - hollow in the middle if that makes sense.

If this isn't a goer, is the VR6 pressure plate etc. the best way forwards?  It seems to cost a similar amount to the 'standard' JX option if you are starting from scratch.  Normal driving style in a 2wd Westy, but in Cornwall, where we have some serious hills!

All help appreciated!  Thanks,

Ben
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 16 at 00:31
Evening chap.

Loads have done Gti now and vast majority have gone jx set up. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone having issues with it. Maybe someone will know different or have heard someone who has.

Saying that I am ditching mine for a g60 flywheel, 228wbx disc and tdi plate. Purely as I want to see hoe much I can get out of an AGG in a T3 before I kill it oh, and will sell the clutch seperately if its a good compromise after what your looking for

Tdi flywheel needs machining if using JX starter and also back of it if you want to get to the back two sump bolts. Weight will obviously affect characteristics of engine if left as standard weight.

Standard AGG one won't fit/work.

Tdi input shaft only works on tdi friction plate. T3 petrol/diesel friction plate has different spline count.

Petrol shaft can be cut down 11mm to work in a diesel clutch plate.

Think that's it. It's late, in bed and on my phone so can't see your post to remember all the key Qs.

Hope this helped chap.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

club joker 84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote club joker 84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 16 at 23:53
Thanks Elvis - JX clutch, flywheel and shitplate is is then!  Presumably this means sticking with a JX starter as well then?
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 16 at 00:11
yup, in all the ones I've dealt with/seen/talked to owners about the JX clutch/flywheel/starter works fine.  And there are a fair few owners out there with miles on their busses
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
 Post Reply Post Reply