The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poptop roof paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poptop roof paint
    Posted: 03 May 16 at 12:33
Anybody know the spec for the poptop roof paint? The basic fiberglass bathtub seems to be smooth white with a textured, in my case red, paint finish. How was that texture done?

Edited by Pete Westy - 03 May 16 at 17:55
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
scrogins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrogins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 17 at 15:17
Hi Pete
Its a year ago so you prooly have it sorted by now, however for future use the whole top including the luggage rack can be quite cheaply and successfully repainted with combicolour paints applied with a small 4in roller from b&q etc, I use light Ivory on mine, good if not better than the original and so cheep to keep looking good.

To apply you will want some ordinary white spirit, get it at the same time as rollers, a mixing jug, found in the dildo draw, make sure missis not around then denigh it, pour about half a jug and add spirit a bit at a time, small amounts, stir well, this does not use a lot of spirit, dont go mad, less than an eggcup full, you are looking to thin the paint down just enough to allow the roller to work, out of the tin its too thickl and the roller will not roll plus the warmer it is the less spirit you need.

a warm sunny calm day best for this to prevent bits in the wind sticking to the top, remove the rubbers and vents etc scuff up with a scratchy pad and water, also found in the dildo, wash down and let dry then roll on, can be done in one coat unless you are swapping colours, easy to get a rythem going use a small paint brush if you have to around the vent, and all important, grab some of her best sheets from the airing cupboard to chuck over the rest of the van as you can get splatter, but it wipes off with a rag and white spirit, if you get runs its too wet, add paint, if the roller will not turn its too thick, add a tad more thinners, can be done in a morning and dries fast, looks good with a dimpled look.

The same process can be used to paint the van, not as nice as a proper spray job but less than £100 compared to £2000 plus which will only have to be done again, any damage to the paintwork is easy to repair then repaint without redoing the whole roof or panel also, I for one use it as do quite a few others but most would rather pay out big bucks for what is considered a proper job, my mate did this two yrs ago and 8yrs ago, just under 2000 each time and already it looks dull, lifeless, seam rust, etc, wants doing again really, that will be 2000 quids please! ka ching! I have a regular routine annually with mine, decide which bits im going to tidy up and job done £50, he will never win any competitions but always looks smart! Slurpzzz....
scrogins
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 17 at 16:05
Well I haven't got round to doing it yet, due to dirth of info, so really glad to see your post. Thanks a lot
A couple of questions:
Did you use gloss or matt?
Did you use a foam or a pile fabric roller?
I don't suppose you know what colour matches Westy Cherry Red or maybe someone knows the RAL number for best match?
Regards
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
 Post Reply Post Reply