The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AFN with UN1, flywheel and input shaft problems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AFN with UN1, flywheel and input shaft problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magicbustribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AFN with UN1, flywheel and input shaft problems
    Posted: 19 Apr 16 at 21:06
Hi Guys, Having had my TDI AFN running for some time with a basic setup I’ve spent the last 6 months installing a UN1 gearbox. This is a shorter assembly that uses a shortened input shaft and keeps the chassis members intact and involves moving the engine back 40mm.

I have a custom made input shaft, JX bell housing, TDI flywheel and clutch. Spigot bearing installed.

So I got it all together and on the roads but I’ve encountered some problems with the gearbox and clutch and I’ve pulled the engine and box out….

1. The flywheel/ clutch assembly is thinner than the JX setup. This means the clutch release pedal moves a bit further along the guide shaft before disengaging the clutch. This doesn’t seem to cause any problems while driving but I’d rather get it right. I’m using a dual mass to single mass conversion flywheel which must have a different offset to the stock single mass ones. Does anyone know what flywheel I can replace this with or if there are any known fixes? I’ll do some measurements this week and confirm it’s the clutch assembly that’s offset.
  2. The input shaft has been rubbing up against the oil thrower/slinger (the tube the gearbox side of the input shaft seal). Why would this happen? It’s possible the input shaft diameter is slightly oversized. There is no interference when the shaft is spun by hand or if the output shafts are turned by hand.
  3. The input shaft is floating (not secured at gearbox end) by design, not my design BTW! When the clutch pedal is depressed the shaft is pushed into the crank face and, as well a a squeeky noise, the shaft has torque applied that fights the synchros and hence grindy shifts. This happens when the engine/trans has warmed up. Anyway… I need to come up with a way of securing the shaft or another way of allowing a floating shaft without this happening, like a thrust bearing in the shaft. I don’t have a threaded section on the primary shaft so I can’t replicate the vw setup.

The more toys I buy the more toys I want!
 Post Reply Post Reply