The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Afn or pd?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Afn or pd?
    Posted: 18 Apr 16 at 21:36
Guys I am building a h van and some guys have used the afn engine. Can you use the aaz pump on the afn so i dont have to use the ecu. Or should i just go pd as they are so good? Is there a simple way to wire up a pd engine / wiring harness kit?
I have had the Afn in a galaxy and it was great, i have a 130 tdi in my 2004 galaxy and the h van weighs less than it so should be good with either..

Cheers
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 16 at 23:50
Few chaps on here that are into their Mtdis so hang around until one of them appear......

From my limited knowledge/memory i dont think it would work as the IDI doesnt make enough pressure to open the Tdi injectors. Sure i have read a few previous bits n bobs on the net about issues with it.

If youre a google king the words you are looking for are Mtdi or M-tdi (term that appears to be used to descibe tdi engines , ditching ecu and running a mechanical pump) and land rover (pump of choice appears to be a land rover 200/300 pump.

Threads kicking about with how to change/alter pump bracket to mount the LR pump to tdi block and also how to time pump up/lift.

Sorry its vague but ive told you as much as i know/read.LOL

Where in the South are you chap? Quite a few H Vans kicking around Exeter area of late.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 16 at 23:53
oh, and if you want to go full Tdi look up a chap called syncroandy (www.syncrosport.com) His looms are a work of art and very very reasonable and he can/will supply a plug and play one to your spec only neeeding 12v/ignition/earth and not much more.

By the time you look into hassle and cost of sourcing/fitting/machining etc for Mtdi , IMHO, i would fit one of andys looms.
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

gary1998 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 16 at 01:20
there's a tdi hvan build tread over on retro rides 
might be of some use to you (sorry i couldn't find a link)
beware the fury of a patient man

http://www.eireball.com/
SplitBusVanatic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplitBusVanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 16 at 12:40
http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/152809/1970-french filth-hy-van?page=1
H van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 16 at 22:22
Thanks chaps, just got an Afn passat to strip, good engine in motd car so i will be getting on with this conversion soon. I have been in contact with the SyncroAndy. Thanks for the info. I have spoken to Dave who built the Afn powered h van. Hoping mine will get done soonish.
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 16 at 09:56
Post some pics please matey, or if you have a build thread elsewhere can you share the link?

I love a good H van, I've had a read through the thread on retro rides and want to chop the T3 in for one now! LOL
Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
H van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 16 at 21:43
I am in surrey. The van is a 55 split screen. If you go looking in France spend the money looking in the South and not on rust repairs! Mine is more solid than a 10 year old french filth traffic i scrapped in 2009! They are just super cool. Buy one now before they hit vw prices!
Kent Joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 16 at 10:02
I've just read this thread on Retro rides AWSOME READ!!!!!!!! have a look
Keith

1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic
busbuddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 16 at 12:53
dave's afn van is a nice piece of work, saw it in the flesh at last years nsra supernationals 

had a mate who wanted to do this conversion a few years ago but he had to sell up, glad to see someone has done one 

Post Reply Post Reply