The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Squidy brakes after changing a front wheel bearing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Squidy brakes after changing a front wheel bearing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squidy brakes after changing a front wheel bearing
    Posted: 29 Mar 16 at 11:56
I changed the front left wheel bearing this weekend. Its a job I have done before so I am quite comfortable with it and thought it went smoothly. There is no rattle in the wheel and the nut is peened nice and tight so from that respect all is good.

However, my brakes have become noticeably more spongy ever since and they seem to be getting worse. Although the brake fluid in my master cylinder doesn't seem to be going down - perhaps it is doing so very slowly.

Any ideas on what I could have done? Is it just where the last bearings were failing it pushed the pads to a wider distance so now they are too far apart and I should make them closer? 

Or have I dislodged a brake pipe to the caliper and it is letting air in?? I cant see any signs of fluid leakage. 

Perhaps I got grease on the disc but I cleaned it up and that doesn't explain why my problem is getting worse, it was fine for the first hour and the next day was definitely worse.

Also if it isn't just my front left brake which is dodgy, I have to pump the pedal once before any of the brakes work.

Help! Thanks...

Edited by williamkay - 29 Mar 16 at 11:57
Will, 1983 VW T3 Caravelle 78PS 1.9 DG Engine, Watercooled
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 16 at 20:37
might have dislodged a seal in the master cylinder opening up the caliper too much - might of let a little air in.

POST IN TECH! TAP ROOMS FOR ALONLINE.......Thumbs Up
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
williamkay View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 16 at 21:03
cheers, will do
Will, 1983 VW T3 Caravelle 78PS 1.9 DG Engine, Watercooled
 Post Reply Post Reply