The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.9 TDI with flipped gearbox problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsoltg2014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.9 TDI with flipped gearbox problems
    Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 11:22
I have installed a flipped audi gearbox (DUK) into my van for a while, but I still have problems with oil leaking... I took about 4.7 litre oil in it.
Can somebody please help in this, cause I'm affraid to go any longer trips.... Cry

My other problem is a little ticking, knocking noise (from the cv joint adaptors?? I think).
I hear this sound only at 1-2-3 gear when holding the gas, when I push the gas no noise...
Any ideas?

I only bought the adaptor beetween the gearbox and the engine from Tim other things are
selfmade (CV joint adaptor, gearbox mount, cable shifter, etc).

I hope everybody understand my bad english... Smile

Thank you guys in advance for your help!

Greetings from Hungary!!

Edited by zsoltg2014 - 09 Feb 16 at 11:51
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 17:05
On mine I've got a long rubber breather pipe from the top of the gearbox through to the back of the rear light which goes into a 1 litre catch can. It doesn't fill up too quickly, maybe needs emptying and the gearbox topping back up every 5000 miles. It's not ideal but works for now.

Clicking could be the CV joints, if they were already worn the CV angle of the flipped box could have finished them off. I replaced all 4 in mine shortly after doing the flipped box.

Edited by GavB95 - 09 Feb 16 at 17:06
Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
zsoltg2014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsoltg2014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 18:55
I'm thinking on a catch tank too for temporarily, but a permanent solution will be the best thing.
The CV joints with the standard gearbox never had noise but if I think good the angle is not the same and therefore now comes out the worn.

Thanks for the fast reply! :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsoltg2014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 18:59
How can I upload photos?
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 16 at 20:27
You need to use photobucket or a similar website for photos and copy the codes across.
Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
adyjoad View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyjoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 16 at 20:33
I made a breather box / oil separator for mine which is basically a metal box with baffles and metal gauze in it with a pipe at the top going up the rear pillar and venting to atmosphere and a pipe at the bottom draining back into the old breather fitting on the box. If you vent from the filler plug on the side of the box instead it's not as big a problem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsoltg2014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 16 at 08:35
It sounds good. So you don't have oil losings? What oil capacity are you using? Do you have pics?
Thanks for your help!

Asking from everybody....
Otherwise, what are your experiences by the transmission? How many kilometers you've gone with it?
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 16 at 21:39
Hi, it's a common problem, the vent is directly above the flywheel.

I've tried loads, but just succeeded in pumping oil all over the back of the van!

Some have put a pipe from the old breather, now on the bottom of the gearbox, to the breather at the top and then a vent in one of the rear grills.

I've used 32mm plumbing bits:

(The second one is for the charge cooler).
 Post Reply Post Reply