The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Antifreeze

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antifreeze
    Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 10:03
Due to my recent overheating problems and water pipe bursting off, I have been topping up with water and all sorts of different anti freezes from different garages and the garage that did some topping up too. Now the system is full and cooling is generally working ok (minus the fan but I can get around that for the sec)

I geuss it would be sensible to completely drain and start again using the proper VW stuff?

Is 'waterboxer' just a name for any water cooled engine? therefore I need;

rather than;

Or is it just a bit of a blag and I could use the current mix I have in there?

Thanks, Will
Will, 1983 VW T3 Caravelle 78PS 1.9 DG Engine, Watercooled
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 10:32
The links dont work for me . But i use vwg13 purple stuff ( or its equivalent) last time i changed it i used trple qx ready mixed as it was on offer.
williamkay View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 10:54
G13 it is. £40 for 4 bottles though! ouch.
GavB95 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavB95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 11:23
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triple-QX-5L-Red-AntiFreeze-Summer-Coolant-Concentrate-5-Litre-GL12-Standard-/400601382060?hash=item5d45b3fcac:g:JQwAAOxyTjNSeNnL

There you go /\, that's the equivalent to G12. You're generally best off buying concentrated coolant otherwise your paying out £££ for premixed which is mostly water.

Also shop around and try to avoid Just Kampers, they pedal overpriced crap and should only be used as a last resort if you're stuck for a part. If you need good quality and well priced parts use Brickwerks.

Bluestar T3 running AAZ/flipped box
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 11:26
Cheers Gav!
nic View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 13:33
http://www.fosterandday.co.uk
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 14:53
I guess Ill trust the brickwerks one then, thanks Nic.

Now for learning how to flush and bleed an engine!
nic View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 14:57
there should be a baxter guide on here somewhere, something about revving the tits off it ;-)
nic View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 14:58
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 17:39
Nice one Nic, some bed time reading for me tonight!
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 15 at 19:30
Its easy if you follow the guide
 Post Reply Post Reply